New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Quick question about the Mail App

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CookieMonsterXo

CookieMonsterXo is on a distinguished road

I have a quick question about the Mail App that comes already on a Mac.
I have it set to automatically check for mail every 5 minutes, but it's not doing that much anymore. Now, it's not showing new messages until I actually open up the mail app.
Anyways, my question is...
If you actually quit out mail, does that prevent it from auto-checking?
Perhaps that's why I'm not getting notifications?

If you X out of the mail app (with the red circle), but not actually quit it, will you still get notices?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If you quit it, no mail.
If you just use the red button and close the window, it's still running and you get mail.
Just click on Mail to open a window and check your mail.
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
If you quit it, no mail.
If you just use the red button and close the window, it's still running and you get mail.
Just click on Mail to open a window and check your mail.
Alright, thanks.
Is it kinda the same way with iMessage? If you actually quit it, you won't get notifications? But if you just X out with the red circle, you'll still get them?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You can verify with every app whether it quits or continues running in the background by looking at the dock.

When you hit the red dot and then check for that app's icon in the dock,
if the icon has disappeared - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there, but has no light underneath it - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there and has a light under it - it is still running in the background

Most apps do continue running when you hit the red button, but some apps do quit - primarily system apps.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Messages can be quit and you will still receive messages. There is a daemon that runs in the background, a system process, which takes care of messages.
If you want you can have it put an icon in the menubar where you can control whether you are online or not and what your status is.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
CookieMonsterXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You can verify with every app whether it quits or continues running in the background by looking at the dock.

When you hit the red dot and then check for that app's icon in the dock,
if the icon has disappeared - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there, but has no light underneath it - it is no longer running
if the icon is still there and has a light under it - it is still running in the background

Most apps do continue running when you hit the red button, but some apps do quit - primarily system apps.
Woah, I never noticed those little lights before. Thanks for pointing those out!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook.com | Long Docs in WORD 2011 »