New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

App to hear ambient noise with headphones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scharpe

scharpe is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone knows of an app i can use on my mac to listen to music with my headphones at work, but i need to hear the phone ring or hear if someone needs to talk to me? but my colleagues don't want to listen to my music.

Thanks for you help!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Unless you were using a type of phone system at work that had some sort of hookup to the computer so that it could notify you it's ringing, not sure how you'd do this..

I always have my headphones on during work hours and the way I deal with this is to ensure that the phone is in your visible range so that you can see the blinking/flashing when it's ringing. Also, ensure that you don't crank up the music so loud so that you can't hear ambient noises.

It also helps if you can position your view such that you can see people approaching. If you have your back to people, then a mirror on your monitor or something else might help..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
scharpe

ok, i thought that maybe there was something similar to the Awareness app but for the mac instead!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might give a program called LineIn a try. It enables a feature called soft play thru that allows you to monitor sound coming through a microphone as it is happening. I haven't used it for this exact situation but have used it to monitor mic levels when recording. It may take a bit of fiddling to get the levels right but it is dead simple to use.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Again, the reason this works on phone is that you are using the features it already has. A lot of companies are switching over to SIP/VoIP systems for the phone and this provides some control over the computer or to even use the computer microphone/headphone as the conduit for communication..

In this situation, your computer IS a phone, so apps like these would work great to interrupt your music for the phone to ring through and so on..

Otherwise, you are dealing with disjoint systems that don't interact..

As far as coworkers go, no easy solution there short of them knocking loudly or someone attracting your attention as to not frighten you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just buy some regular old earbuds for listening at work instead of the in-ear (ones that actually go in your ear canal and block exterior sound or the noise cancelling) buds.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
scharpe

Thanks guys! i have Shure 425 earbuds that i use, real nice ones, and i dont like leaving one out... i like the stereo sound!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there any way to stop Facebook from auto refreshing in Safari? | unhide ribbon »