New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Alternative for Photoshop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GeneA

GeneA is on a distinguished road

Complete beginner here. What alternatives are available for Photoshop when using Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm not a professional photographer, just an occasional amateur... but I use Pixelmator which is available from the Mac App Store for $14.99. It's a real bargain and works great.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To give you the best answer, you'll need to tell us a little something about how you would normally use Photoshop.

Your post implies that you are not aware that Photoshop was originally a Mac program, and it has always been made for the Mac. So if you're familiar with Photoshop on Windows, the Mac version is available and very similar (mostly just remembering to use "command" for "alt" and "alt" for "Windows key" )

As a general PS substitute I second chscag's Pixelmator suggestion. I use it every day for quick web work. It's a far cry from Photoshop's power but it does all of the same basic functions with great aplomb (though I wish they'd hurry up with that update, there's a bug in their resizing. They sent me a version to fix the issue but they should update the regular version).

OTOH if your main use of PS is retouching photos I would have different suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
GeneA

GeneA is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I do know that PS is available for Mac, however I didn't know that it was originally a Mac program.
I only need the basic functions, and the reason I am looking for an alternative to PS is because I wanted to try and find a lower cost alternative. I think I will give Pixelmator a try.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Definitely have a look at Pixelmator, also have a look at Photoshop Elements. I find these two options to be wildly different from one another, and thus better suited to one group or the other depending on their needs. PS Elements is about $100, Pixelmator is about $15.

Currently my favourite program for making my photos look better is Snapseed, which is free on iOS (the Mac version has been -- criminally -- discontinued).
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thought I had posted this already but here goes. You might want to check out Graphic Converter. It has a demo available and I think that is fully functional. I've used it quite a bit over the years and like it. I haven't used the current version much though.

There are a number of Photoshop plug-ins that work with Graphic Convertor.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Diff tool for comparing text file version in Time Machine??? | Excel for Mac 2011 Macros »