New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Let You See What Others Are Doing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WizzKid

WizzKid is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone new of any program that i could see what another computer was doing on the same network. So say my dad has his powerbook G4 and I am on my imac G5 then i would like something to see what he is doing and take control if possible. I no this can happen because we have it in our school but we run windows in our school neye: neye:
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

in the sharing prefs maybe but they have to be applied on both computers. It maybe Apple Remote Desktop but I'm not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

VNC will allow you to do that.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
WizzKid

Mac Specs: iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express

could you give me a link to VNC becaise I googled it but it came up with random things!!!
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

I use apple remote desktop to access and take control of my mac mini from my ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

put osxvnc on your dad's machine (here is the link. http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html)

and then put chicken of the vnc (veiwer) on your machine (here is the link.
http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html)

done. and free.
QUOTE Thanks
WizzKid

thanks very much ill try it out
QUOTE Thanks
WizzKid

im not really sure what you mean about chicken on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

chicken of the vnc is the vnc viewer client application you use on your computer.

It will make the connection and have the other users desktop in its window.
here is some good reading if you got the time.

Chicken of the VNC Viewer

Chicken of the VNC is a VNC viewer for Mac OSX. After it is installed you run it by clicking on the Chicken of the VNC application icon. Enter the following information.

Host: [host name of the server you wish to connect to]
Password: [vnc password]
Display (or Port): [display number you wish to connect to]
Click 'Connect' and in a few seconds you should see the desktop of the machine running the VNC server. If you are connecting to a Linux machine you will be logged on as the Linux user who started that VNC server session and see the desktop of that user. If you are connected to a Linux server DO NOT log out of Linux when you are finished. Just close the Chicken of the VNC window. If you are connecting to a Mac OSX server you will see the actual local desktop. If a user is logged in locally you will see that desktop, if not you will see a login screen (if the OSXvnc server is running as a service). You SHOULD log off of the MacOSX server when you are finished as that user will remain loggged in locally if you don't.

thats from this good vnc faq website. http://euler.slu.edu/GrantWebPages/P...Csoftware.html
QUOTE Thanks
WizzKid

thank u
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ftp | multiple garageband files »