New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

So im trying to beef up security on my computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thatguy5

Thatguy5 is on a distinguished road

Had a facebook hack a few weeks ago. So I got little snitch and mackeeper to try and prevent it. I think that I may have a keylogger or something on my computer. Even if I dont id still like to make it safer.
So when I look at my activity monitor i dont recognize everything on there. So apps have my user name next them, other say "root", and some say some other stuff i dont recognize. What iv read says if i delete the wrong thing it can crash my computer or delete alot of stuff. So how exactly do you know what to delete? And is there a better way to do this? Not trying to get my information stolen by some crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy5 View Post
So I got little snitch and mackeeper to try and prevent it.
Installing MacKeeper wasn't a very good idea. We highly recommend against installing MacKeeper!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

First and foremost..Mackeeper is bad for you. You should delete that now..

Next, does anyone have physical access to your Mac other than you? If not, installing a keylogger is a bit tough remotely.

Last, having your online accounts hacked means that you did a poor choice choosing your password at the hacked site. It has NO bearing on your local computer. What you SHOULD do, first is calm down, second is to use a password manager like 1Password to help you generate VERY secure passwords that cannot be easily guessed. Then go ahead and change all your online passwords and save the new ones in this application. Use the maximum number of characters allowed by each site and ensure that you use all the special characters allowed as well..

Activity Monitor will show you a lot of things, everything with your name against is an application that you started. It is OK to see things started by Root and a lot more things you don't recognize since they are needed by OS X to do it's job. The names don't make it clear as to who owns it and what it does, but NONE of this has any bearing on your online accounts..

Lastly, do check on in System Preferences sharing and ensure that none of the services are turned on.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Please do NOT delete things you see in Activity Monitor. Most of those you have mentioned are part of OSX. You delete any of them you will have no OS left.

Do a Screenshot (Command+Shift+3 or Command+Shift+4 and select just the activity monitor window). Post it here on the forums.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Ahh after all this time the joys of MacKeeper still abound.. One would have thought the whole world had heard about this crapware.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy5

ok got ya
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I was tracking down some instrumental music earlier today for a school talent show. Found a link to one of the mp3 files I needed and clicked the link. Next thing I know a window opens and starts downloading MacKeeper.

Needless to say I did not complete the download and didn't even consider installing it. It seems like every site I went to today was offering that program.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy5

101 WindowServer _windowserver 12.5 12 63.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
170 warmd_agent My Computer 0.0 2 8 KB Intel (64 bit)
23 warmd nobody 0.0 3 1.0 MB Intel (64 bit)
139 UserEventAgent My Computer 0.0 3 4.1 MB Intel (64 bit)
11 UserEventAgent root 0.0 4 2.0 MB Intel (64 bit)
24 usbmuxd _usbmuxd 0.0 3 496 KB Intel (64 bit)
169 TuneUpHelper My Computer 0.0 2 1.9 MB Intel (64 bit)
155 talagent My Computer 0.0 4 10.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
157 SystemUIServer My Computer 1.5 6 12.1 MB Intel (64 bit)
26 SystemStarter root 0.0 3 368 KB Intel (64 bit)
2488 syspolicyd root 0.0 2 4 KB Intel (64 bit)
14 syslogd root 0.0 4 872 KB Intel (64 bit)
847 Stickies My Computer 0.0 2 3.6 MB Intel (64 bit)
28 stackshot root 0.0 3 368 KB Intel (64 bit)
89 socketfilterfw root 0.0 3 3.2 MB Intel (64 bit)
29 securityd root 0.0 4 2.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
3782 Safari Web Content My Computer 4.4 12 355.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
2728 Safari My Computer 3.3 20 48.4 MB Intel (64 bit)
32 revisiond root 0.0 5 392 KB Intel (64 bit)
19 powerd root 0.0 2 1.7 MB Intel (64 bit)
146 pboard My Computer 0.0 1 28 KB Intel (64 bit)
18 opendirectoryd root 0.0 9 3.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
3742 ocspd root 0.0 3 4.7 MB Intel (64 bit)
21 ntpd root 0.0 1 508 KB Intel (64 bit)
12 notifyd root 0.0 2 896 KB Intel (64 bit)
77 netbiosd _netbios 0.0 4 1.0 MB Intel (64 bit)
3787 mdworker _spotlight 0.0 3 6.2 MB Intel (64 bit)
3778 mdworker My Computer 0.0 4 25.2 MB Intel (64 bit)
36 mds root 0.1 4 46.7 MB Intel (64 bit)
37 mDNSResponder _mdnsresponder 0.0 3 2.2 MB Intel (64 bit)
105 Mbox2CS root 0.0 3 500 KB Intel
54 MacKeeperATd root 0.0 4 2.9 MB Intel (64 bit)
181 MacKeeper Helper My Computer 0.0 4 2.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
1254 lsboxd My Computer 0.0 2 380 KB Intel (64 bit)
39 loginwindow My Computer 0.0 4 30.0 MB Intel (64 bit)
119 logind root 0.0 2 384 KB Intel (64 bit)
154 Little Snitch Network Monitor My Computer 0.1 5 20.5 MB Intel (64 bit)
56 Little Snitch Daemon root 0.0 4 9.6 MB Intel (64 bit)
147 Little Snitch Agent My Computer 0.1 2 10.3 MB Intel (64 bit)
1 launchd root 0.0 3 1.3 MB Intel (64 bit)
134 launchd My Computer 0.0 2 936 KB Intel (64 bit)
3785 launchd _spotlight 0.0 2 908 KB Intel (64 bit)
10 kextd root 0.0 2 2.6 MB Intel (64 bit)
41 KernelEventAgent root 0.0 3 272 KB Intel (64 bit)
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy5

Any of these look suspicious? ^^^^^^^
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yes, MacKeeper..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Any of these look suspicious? ^^^^^^^
Already told you over a month ago that installing MacKeeper wasn't a very good idea!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I had a MacKeeper pop-up a week or two ago when I went to tvguide.com. I've been to that site 100's of times and this one time I get message saying I'm infected and to install MacKeeper to run a scan of my Mac. Riiiight.... Clicking the red x is the same as clicking "OK" (crafty devils) so I just used command+w and it went away. Annoying little bugger sometimes, but harmless if you don't go through with the installer. I even had pop-ups blocked in Safari and it still came through, so they're finding ways to at least get your attention.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Thatguy5

Ok deleted Mackeeper. Idk why its so bad honestly.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Ok deleted Mackeeper. Idk why its so bad honestly.
MacKeeper worth it or scam?
http://markustenghamn.com/beware-mackeeper-review
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I say no more !!!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Let's go back to the original post: your Facebook account (which is on Facebook, not on your computer) got hacked (ie, someone guessed your probably-easy-to-guess password).

How does this have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with security on your computer? That's where you made your mistake. This is about making a strong password. That's it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Simple file copy software | New to iCloud - Setup Confusion »