New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iTunes Library File Cannot Be Saved, Can You Help Me to Problem Solve?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sarasimms

Sarasimms is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am having a problem with iTunes that I need to fix immediately! (I use iTunes for work)

I was importing files into iTunes tonight, and received the following message:

'The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. The required file cannot be found'.

In my iTunes folder, I see the following files:

iTunes Library
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

I'm still able to play songs from my collection. This error message keeps popping up though!

Would anyone kindly be able to help me to solve this problem?

I'm using iTunes 11.01, and OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

This could be a permissions issue. As a first step I would go to disk utility and verify/repair your permissions, and then report back if that does not fix this.

Do you have iTunes backed up by the way>?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Sarasimms

Thanks for your response! I verified and repaired permissions, but I am still getting the same error message.

I have my iTunes library file backed up.

My iTunes library is stored on an external drive, I backed this up several weeks ago, I'll back it up again tonight.

Do you have any other suggestions for me to try?

The files in iTunes are still playing fine.

Thanks again, would love to solve this asap!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You're 2 separate accounts have been merged into your original account.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The error you're receiving seems to say that it can't find your iTunes library file and therefore can not save it. Since your iTunes library file is located on an external hard drive, the drive must be attached and mounted. If it is already attached and mounted and you're still receiving that error, it might mean the path to your library has changed.
QUOTE Thanks
Sarasimms

Thanks for your response.

My external hard drive with my iTunes library is plugged into my Mac, and mounted.

I checked the iTunes media folder location, and it is correct. (pointing to the itunes folder on the external drive)

Inside my iTunes folder on my external drive, I have these files:

iTunes Library
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

Do you have any suggestions on what to do next?

Could you please let me know if my error message is referring to my iTunes Library.xml file, or the iTunes library file?

They are both inside the folder, and the path to this external drive is correct in iTunes.

Thanks in advance - need to solve this asap!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If all your paths are correct and the drive is attached, then there's either corruption with your external hard drive or within iTunes itself. The error plainly states it can't find the library file. Use Disk Utility to verify your external hard drive to make sure there are no disk errors. If the drive was removed while it was writing or reading files, that could cause errors.
QUOTE Thanks
Sarasimms

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If all your paths are correct and the drive is attached, then there's either corruption with your external hard drive or within iTunes itself. The error plainly states it can't find the library file. Use Disk Utility to verify your external hard drive to make sure there are no disk errors. If the drive was removed while it was writing or reading files, that could cause errors.
Thanks for your response. The disk may have been accidentally removed.

I opened Disk Utility, Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions are not an option for my external hard drive. I'm able to write and read for this drive.

I did click Verify Disk, everything seems to be ok with the Disk.

For the moment, everything seems to be ok with iTunes now.

I'll let you know if I have further issues. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
matiasf9

matiasf9 is on a distinguished road

Hi! I have the same problem! My iTunes Library is allocated on an external hard drive too! I really don't know what to do. The problem stared yesterday, when I tried to change some permission to another partition from the same external hard drive.

What did you finally do?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Osxfuse | Game Disc Duplicating For Mac Mini »