New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Making the switch from PC to Mac - Terminal emulators?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

petenet

petenet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Good morning...

I am making the switch from PC to Mac (never used a Mac before) and I've got a couple questions about terminal emulators...

I am a network engineer and I often connect via console cable to routers to perform various tasks - I also connect via telnet and/or SSH depending on the situation. And to make matters more interesting, I will also use the modem to dial into 'out-of-band' devices

What would you recommend for a terminal emulator? I currently use Van Dyke's Secure-CRT. I know that OS X is Unix based, so I could use the terminal window - but is there a software package that allows one to create 'sessions' that I can quickly connect to?

Thanks in advance.

- pete
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

Don't need one. Terminal (part of OSX) gives you access to the UNIX command line. I SSH from the line to my linux servers right there in Terminal. It does have a LOG ON TO SERVER in the menu that lets you store frequent places you log to.
QUOTE Thanks
cobra281

cobra281 is on a distinguished road

We are considering a switch from PC to Mac as well.

Current Setup...
All PC's running Kermit 95 which emulates a vt320 terminal that connects to a unix server running our business program.

Proposed Setup...
All Mac's running terminal that connects to the same unix server.

So far, we have been successful in setting up the required scripts and keymaps for terminal to work, with one exception... Option F9 refuses to bind to F-19. Is there something mapped to Option F9 in the Mac OS or is the telnet keymap of \033[33` sending the wrong info?

This is the LAST in a long line of hurdles that we have and must overcome in testing before we can get approval for the company wide transition to Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free UML software | an Equivalent to THINGS mac »