New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Shredder Widget not working with Mountain Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chetgolfer

chetgolfer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (mid-2010), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8GHz, 4GB Mem Sophos Anti Virus, 10.8.2, iPhone 4S

When I click and move a file from the Finder into the Dashboard Shredder Widget using F12, the Shredder indicates, "Not Undoable" but the file is not shredded. Anyone having the same problem? Is it Mountain Lion? Do you think it has anything to do with iCloud?
The Shredder worked with 10.4.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As this is a third-party widget, you would want to check with the developer to see if they ever made a Mountain Lion update for it.
QUOTE Thanks
chetgolfer

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (mid-2010), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8GHz, 4GB Mem Sophos Anti Virus, 10.8.2, iPhone 4S

Thanks. Sent email to Interdimension Media, the developer. Will post the reply when received.
QUOTE Thanks
printemps

printemps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetgolfer View Post
When I click and move a file from the Finder into the Dashboard Shredder Widget using F12, the Shredder indicates, "Not Undoable" but the file is not shredded. Anyone having the same problem? Is it Mountain Lion? Do you think it has anything to do with iCloud?
The Shredder worked with 10.4.
I'm having the same problem. Did you get any answer from the developer??
QUOTE Thanks
chetgolfer

Sorry for the delay. Have been away from forum. The answer is No. I have not heard from the developer.
QUOTE Thanks
chetgolfer

New information I discovered. Don't need Shredder widget!
Go to Finder help and type in "secure". You will find a process for secure overwriting of trash files and other alternatives.
QUOTE Thanks
travelinjack

travelinjack is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. Any answers yet?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetgolfer View Post
New information I discovered. Don't need Shredder widget!
Go to Finder help and type in "secure". You will find a process for secure overwriting of trash files and other alternatives.
The shredder app has more than likely used these methods in the background since its creation.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chetgolfer

Never received an answer from the developer. As suggested by Dysfunction, the widget likely used the option in the Finder to securely delete documents.
QUOTE Thanks
Markoffate

Markoffate is on a distinguished road

Here's a reply from the developer:

On Jan 23, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Mark,

I'm really sorry about that. I've been looking into the problem over the past month or so, and as far as I can tell, support for dropping files on widgets has been dropped in Mountain Lion. It seems that this change may have been accidental, as even Apple's own widgets which support drag and drop are broken. For instance, you're supposed to be able to drop an image on the Tile Game widget — the cursor changes on hover, but the image does not change on drop as expected.

I think all widgets which require drag and drop to function, including many of mine, are out of commission until Apple releases an update to fix the problem.

Sorry!
Eben
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Chrome Users | iTunes rental not authorized for my iPad »