New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Java problems. Apple care reply. Is it true?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

magnitude

magnitude is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...

From java.com:

--
Chrome does not support Java 7. Java 7 runs only on 64-bit browsers and Chrome is a 32-bit browser.

If you download Java 7, you will not be able to run Java content in Chrome and will need to use a 64-bit browser (such as Safari or Firefox) to run Java content within a browser. Additionally, installing Java 7 will disable the ability to use Apple Java 6 on your system.
--

I did NOT get this message on java.com at the time I downloaded java 7. They have now put it on the front of the downloading page. Understandably. I guess there is a lot of PO mac users with chrome out there now with a browser that does not work with java.

I thought it must be possible to simply uninstall java 7 and instal the previous version. Wrong. On java.com looking for java 6 it all works out well for all OS (such as linux and PC) until you get the mac and it simply says:

--
Apple Java 6 for Mac OS X
For Java versions 6 and below, Apple supplies their own version of Java. Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java 6 for your Mac. For issues related to Apple Java 6 on Mac, contact Apple Support.
--

Well problem is that now with all java uninstalled and when I click software update I get no java updates or anything else related to java. So I went to the mac homepage and manually downloaded java for Mac OS X 10.7 (JavaForMacOSX10.7.dmg). Problem is when I double click that one I get the message:

"A newer package of this version is already installed"

So I have no JAVA and still get that message. When I uninstalled it I used mac keeper to remove all related java files. I have no java so it doesn't make sense.

I called Apple care and get this: she tells me that the only way I now can fix this problem and get back to using the java version I had on my mac before I installed java 7, is to reinstall the entire OS and format my HDD. My mistake was to install java from java.com. I mean if this is true, Mac should laserprint that on the cover of the laptop maybe with the addition of an apology of being so talentless to create such a scenario for Mac users. How on earth could I know this?

On the other hand, since java 7 works with safari when installed I start to think that some how this is some tactical move from Apple for getting mac users to start using safari instead of chrome. I think this is deliberately done to mess up for us chrome users. I for one will not stop using chrome, and I will download firefox or what ever else browser I can use with java 7 until chrome releases a 64-bit browser. What do you suspect is the real reason behind this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You won't get a reply from Apply here as this site is not affiliated with Apple in any way.

Not to say you don't have a point, but my questions would be to google. "Why in the world is Chrome 32 bit since everything has been 64 bit for several years now. What's up with that google?"

The next thing you need to do is uninstall the junk application MacKeeper and keep that thing away from your Mac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Not to say you don't have a point, but my questions would be to google. "Why in the world is Chrome 32 bit since everything has been 64 bit for several years now. What's up with that google?"
+1

Quote:
The next thing you need to do is uninstall the junk application MacKeeper and keep that thing away from your Mac.
+1000 x ∞

Well said, bobtomay

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnitude View Post
On the other hand, since java 7 works with safari when installed I start to think that some how this is some tactical move from Apple for getting mac users to start using safari instead of chrome. I think this is deliberately done to mess up for us chrome users.
This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Oracle. For whatever reason, Oracle decided to make Java 64bit only and since Google does not ship a 64bit version of Chrome, it can't use it (you can't load 64bit plugins in 32bit browsers). Blame Oracle, not Apple for this one.

I don't know how you uninstalled it but follow the instructions here. Assuming you've done that (and assuming you are using Lion as your post suggests), you should be ready to install Java 6. You could also just wait until a Java applet needs to be loaded since OS X will prompt you to install a runtime when one is invoked.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
magnitude

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Oracle. For whatever reason, Oracle decided to make Java 64bit only and since Google does not ship a 64bit version of Chrome, it can't use it (you can't load 64bit plugins in 32bit browsers). Blame Oracle, not Apple for this one.

I don't know how you uninstalled it but follow the instructions here. Assuming you've done that (and assuming you are using Lion as your post suggests), you should be ready to install Java 6. You could also just wait until a Java applet needs to be loaded since OS X will prompt you to install a runtime when one is invoked.
No I did it the way they explained on the Java home page. Here: How do I uninstall Java 7 for my Mac?

So I can't find what they point to in that article you linked to. So I tried this:

On the same page you can read about how to reinstall the Mac:

Restore Apple's Java after uninstalling Oracle Java 7
If you find an issue using Java 7 and would like to continue using Apple's Java on your Mac, you will need to first uninstall Java 7, then restore Apple's Java
Note: To restore Apple's Java, you must have Administrator privileges and execute the command either as root or by using sudo.
Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
Click on Applications tab on sidebar
Click on the Utilities folder
Double-click on the Terminal icon
In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the command below:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Java/Support/CoreDeploy.bundle/Contents/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

But when I do that basically nothing happens. I was asked to give my psw. Did that. I did it another time, then I got the message:

ln: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin: File exists

Tried software update and tried to install the java install file I downloaes from Apple. Still nothing.

I sure would appreciate if someone could help me get java back!
QUOTE Thanks
magnitude

And in the process I've lost the /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences folder. Didn't come back when I installed java 7 again. MacKeeper "suggested" to delete that one. I guess your anger towards that software has some reason to it...

How do I get that utility back?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And in the process I've lost the /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences folder. Didn't come back when I installed java 7 again. MacKeeper "suggested" to delete that one. I guess your anger towards that software has some reason to it...
MacKeeper is one step up from malware, as far as I'm concerned. It's a sloppily coded piece of crapware whose capabilities existed and are better implemented in quite a number of different freeware products. In fact, it wasn't even a real Mac application up until recently - it was a bunch of Windows code slapped together with WINE to get it to run on the Mac. The only reason it's (often accidentally) installed most of the time is because of pervasive advertising.

Why is it so bad? Well, following its recommendations led you to this condition, just as an example... good thing it didn't recommend you delete or otherwise compromise a more important system file.

Quote:
How do I get that utility back?
Java 7 is so new, that's going to be hard to answer. Previously, Apple implemented their own version of Java. It wasn't until Oracle stepped up with Java 7 that we ever had a non-native implementation. I wish I had an answer for you, but I suspect reinstalling didn't solve the problem because the installer sensed components still installed. I would check Oracle's support site for an inventory of all installed files so that you can manually remove them.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the command below:
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Java/Support/CoreDeploy.bundle/Contents/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

But when I do that basically nothing happens. I was asked to give my psw. Did that. I did it another time, then I got the message:

ln: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin: File exists!
Seeing nothing printed back when you execute a command is a good thing - it indicates success. This is why you see the error the second time around since the first attempt was successful (the error is saying that the link you created already exists).

Try reloading your browser now. Since the command was successful at linking the official Apple plugin to the global browser plugins directory, it should work.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Wait a minute... Google fails to deliver a 64-bit version of a web browser for an OS that has had a 64-bit architecture since 2009, and this is Apple's fault?

*facepalm*

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Now I'm interested to know why Google doesn't build a 64bit version especially since the code base (Chromium) can be built on 64bit platforms.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Now I'm interested to know why Google doesn't build a 64bit version especially since the code base (Chromium) can be built on 64bit platforms.

ahhhh the sixty-four thousand dollar question.. personally, I think it's a huge gaff.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I shudder to think how much more resource intensive a 64-bit Chrome would be. It's already pretty bad now with it constantly turning on my discrete GPU for no apparent reason. I easily get 2-3 additional hours of battery life using Safari OR Firefox.

I won't be looking at Chrome again until they get smooth zooming AND find a way to drastically reduce power consumption.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

True, one of the concerns about moving to 64bit is the need to allocate twice as much memory for each little task. Given that Chrome is already relatively memory intensive (add up all the renderer and workers processes and be amazed), the application would uses even more than it probably has to.

I suppose my interest lay in Google's decision to support a 64bit build for some platforms (Linux) and not others (Windows, OS X).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
magnitude

Quote:
Seeing nothing printed back when you execute a command is a good thing - it indicates success. This is why you see the error the second time around since the first attempt was successful (the error is saying that the link you created already exists).

Try reloading your browser now. Since the command was successful at linking the official Apple plugin to the global browser plugins directory, it should work.
Actually no it did not worked. I opened and tried in both chrome and safari on a webpage which needed to load java, both cases I was asked to download java.

Finally I just gave up and downloaded java 7 again. Will be using 2 browsers from now on. 1 for java stuff and Chrome for the rest. By the way, installing java 7 did not bring back the Java preferences folder. I guess it is lost...
QUOTE Thanks
xdunlapx

xdunlapx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,

Does java really need that java preferences folder? Maybe it was created the first time you ran java (since you just reinstalled it).. Have you checked since you ran java in the browser?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook 2011 | DVD Shrink »