New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Java problems. Apple care reply. Is it true?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The Java Preferences app is helpful in configuring Java. For instance, you can enable/disable it with ease which, although that sounds useless, is quite handy when security becomes a concern.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
magnitude

magnitude is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdunlapx View Post
Does java really need that java preferences folder? Maybe it was created the first time you ran java (since you just reinstalled it).. Have you checked since you ran java in the browser?
I was just hoping I could switch from Java 7 to Apples Java in there. Don't know if that was ever possible or not. That folder has not come back even though I have used java in a browser...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked to see which version of the plugin is loaded by the browser? It's possible that it's still trying to load the Java 7 plugin.

I've done some testing here. As expected, Chrome won't load Java if Java 7 is the default handler for applets. What's frustrating is the inability to disable Java 7 (the enable/disable checkbox is unresponsive) and with both versions set to be the default, Java 7 takes precedence. So, I'm guessing that somewhere, Java 7 is blocking Java 6 on your machine.

I just tried the instructions from Oracle (here) and they worked like a charm. I can now use Java once again in Chrome.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
magnitude

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Have you checked to see which version of the plugin is loaded by the browser? It's possible that it's still trying to load the Java 7 plugin.

I've done some testing here. As expected, Chrome won't load Java if Java 7 is the default handler for applets. What's frustrating is the inability to disable Java 7 (the enable/disable checkbox is unresponsive) and with both versions set to be the default, Java 7 takes precedence. So, I'm guessing that somewhere, Java 7 is blocking Java 6 on your machine.

I just tried the instructions from Oracle (here) and they worked like a charm. I can now use Java once again in Chrome.
Then I don't get why it didn't work for me because I did that too. But I could not run any java in my Chrome after. Now I reinstalled Java 7 again so I can do daily stuff in safari. oh well, I'm planning to order a new MacBook Pro this month. When I receive that I will reinstall my current and it will work again, on both. I give up. I just have to remember not to install java....ever again....
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It's possible that the plugin is simply disabled in Chrome. When you try to load an applet in Chrome, does it tell you that it's disabled or does it just fail miserably?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
magnitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's possible that the plugin is simply disabled in Chrome. When you try to load an applet in Chrome, does it tell you that it's disabled or does it just fail miserably?
One example in Chrome when Java is suppose to start:

Failed to start the Java Plug-in software

This may be because you do not have Java installed on your computer. If you are using Internet Explorer, check that you have given permission to run ActiveX.

Click here to go to the installation of Java (opens in new window).

When I go to chrome://plugins/ I cannot see Java anywhere, it is not listed among the plug-ins, even though I have installed Java 7 again...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Java 7 won't show up in that list because it doesn't work with Chrome. The only time it'll show up is if it loaded the Java 6 plugin.

I'm out of ideas here so I'll have to leave this to someone else.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook 2011 | DVD Shrink »