New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Movie File Won't Play in Quick Time After Renaming It

Thread Closed

ntad

ntad is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Firstly, I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and Quick Time X 10.2 on an iMac. I have the DivX, Perian and Flip4Mac codecs installed (although after installing Mountain Lion there have been compatibility issues with Perian, which a lot users are having based on the forums I have read).

I have downloaded a TV series which is currently playing fine on Quick Time X 10.2, however as soon as I change the file name from it's original download name:

"Law.and.Order.SVU.S13E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL.[VTV].avi"

to the name that I want to change it to:

"S13E01.avi"

I get the error message:

The document "S13E01.avi" could not be opened. The file may be damaged or may not be a movie file that is compatible with QuickTime player.

The file is compatible with QuickTime as it plays before I changed the file name.

Also, half of the files in this season are ".avi" and the other half are ".mp4". If I change the filename of the ".mp4" it still plays in QuickTime as normal.

It is only the ".avi" files that I am having problems with.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Thread Closed

« fitness software | Backup questions »