Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 28, 2012
    Posts
    7
    Word 2011 for Mac
    Maybe I am in the wrong place--just joined here. In any case, MS Word 2008 allows you to see two or three toolbars at the top of the screen. It seems Word 2011 doesn't allow that.

    I do a ton of editing and in 2011 must constantly be switching from standard or formatting toolbar to REVIEW.

    Is there a way to have the REVIEW TOOLBAR constantly at the top along with the standard and formatting toolbars?

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,975
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Moved thread here to proper forum - "Apps........"

    The Reviewing Pane does not open at the top in Word 2011, it opens to the left of the page at the side. I'm not sure where it opened in Word 2008 as I never used it there.

    The toolbars in Word 2011 get very crowded if you leave the Ribbon on. I usually turn the Ribbon off unless I'm doing Page layout with graphics.

  3. #3

    michelangelo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 24, 2008
    Location
    West of Paris
    Posts
    149
    Specs:
    MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.10.5, iPhone 5c, iPad mini iOS 9.0.2
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesterL View Post
    Maybe I am in the wrong place--just joined here. In any case, MS Word 2008 allows you to see two or three toolbars at the top of the screen. It seems Word 2011 doesn't allow that.

    I do a ton of editing and in 2011 must constantly be switching from standard or formatting toolbar to REVIEW.

    Is there a way to have the REVIEW TOOLBAR constantly at the top along with the standard and formatting toolbars?
    Not sure how to help but you can count yourself lucky of using the mac 2011 version rather than the windows 2010 version. At least, the mac version has preserved for you the menu on the screen top. The windows version (where the menu used to be at the window's top) of the menubar has *completely disappeared. I can tell you switching on a windows environment from 2003 to 2010 is fare more frustrating (for User Interface, I mean) that the equivalent upgrade on the mac side.

    Jus my 2c to make you feel better.
    -- Michelangelo
    http://abeille-cyclotourisme.fr/
    MacBookPro, iMac, iPhone 5c, iPad mini, AirPort Time Capsule (1st Generation), AirPort extreme (3rd generation)

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 28, 2012
    Posts
    7
    MS Word 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by michelangelo View Post
    Not sure how to help but you can count yourself lucky of using the mac 2011 version rather than the windows 2010 version. At least, the mac version has preserved for you the menu on the screen top. The windows version (where the menu used to be at the window's top) of the menubar has *completely disappeared. I can tell you switching on a windows environment from 2003 to 2010 is fare more frustrating (for User Interface, I mean) that the equivalent upgrade on the mac side.

    Jus my 2c to make you feel better.
    Thanks. It does. But in a few seconds I will start swearing at Microsoft yet again. I am still angry that WordPerfect has pretty much died. Life was easier with WordPerfect.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 28, 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Moved thread here to proper forum - "Apps........"

    The Reviewing Pane does not open at the top in Word 2011, it opens to the left of the page at the side. I'm not sure where it opened in Word 2008 as I never used it there.

    The toolbars in Word 2011 get very crowded if you leave the Ribbon on. I usually turn the Ribbon off unless I'm doing Page layout with graphics.

    Yes, I see what you mean about turning off the Ribbon--makes a lot of sense.

    I am wishing I could see these toolbars simultaneously: [B]standard, format, review. [/B ]To edit or make a comment on a document, I must click on REVIEW, which takes me away from the other toolbars. Then after editing, I must click on HOME again to get those toolbars back.

    Word 2008 would show all three toolbars at once, so I didn't have to switch back and forth.
    Making a program less easy to use doesn't make sense, so I wonder if there is a way to see all those toolbars at once.

  6. #6

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,975
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I can tell you switching on a windows environment from 2003 to 2010 is fare more frustrating (for User Interface, I mean) that the equivalent upgrade on the mac side.
    That's because you skipped from Office 2003 to 2010. Office 2003 does not have the "Ribbon" while Office 2007 and 2010 both have it. You can restore the menu if you know how in 2010. I also use 2010 on my Windows machine and I have modified the Ribbon to get the older and more comfortable menus back.

    As a matter of fact, I consider Office 2010 to be superior to Office 2011 for the Mac because it's more easily configurable.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 28, 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That's because you skipped from Office 2003 to 2010. Office 2003 does not have the "Ribbon" while Office 2007 and 2010 both have it. You can restore the menu if you know how in 2010. I also use 2010 on my Windows machine and I have modified the Ribbon to get the older and more comfortable menus back.

    As a matter of fact, I consider Office 2010 to be superior to Office 2011 for the Mac because it's more easily configurable.
    I'm with you on that one. 2010 is way better.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesterL View Post
    YI am wishing I could see these toolbars simultaneously: [B]standard, format, review. [/B ]To edit or make a comment on a document, I must click on REVIEW, which takes me away from the other toolbars. Then after editing, I must click on HOME again to get those toolbars back.
    You can. The Standard toolbar is visible by default; the Formatting toolbar can be shown by choosing View > Toolbars > Formatting, and the Ribbon will show you the Reviewing toolbar.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That's because you skipped from Office 2003 to 2010. Office 2003 does not have the "Ribbon" while Office 2007 and 2010 both have it. You can restore the menu if you know how in 2010. I also use 2010 on my Windows machine and I have modified the Ribbon to get the older and more comfortable menus back.

    As a matter of fact, I consider Office 2010 to be superior to Office 2011 for the Mac because it's more easily configurable.
    You can't customize the Ribbon, but you can create custom toolbars. For example, you could create your own Reviewing toolbar with Accept and Reject buttons, or add them to the Standard toolbar.

  9. #9

    michelangelo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 24, 2008
    Location
    West of Paris
    Posts
    149
    Specs:
    MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.10.5, iPhone 5c, iPad mini iOS 9.0.2
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    As a matter of fact, I consider Office 2010 [Windows] to be superior to Office 2011 for the Mac because it's more easily configurable.
    Thanks, this will help a lot since my prime use is at work on Windows rather than at home on the mac. I just thought the menu was gone for ever from the Windows environment while it is being preserved on the mac side and I read you revealing to me that I can do the same on the Windows side.

    In that case, Even if I did not succeed to help you, thanks for the great tip you just gave me. I will proceed to obtain the way to do that from whoever knows it at the office.
    -- Michelangelo
    http://abeille-cyclotourisme.fr/
    MacBookPro, iMac, iPhone 5c, iPad mini, AirPort Time Capsule (1st Generation), AirPort extreme (3rd generation)

  10. #10

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,975
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You can't customize the Ribbon, but you can create custom toolbars. For example, you could create your own Reviewing toolbar with Accept and Reject buttons, or add them to the Standard toolbar.
    Maybe we're both referring to the same thing. You can't shut off the Ribbon as in Mac Office 2011, but you can customize the Ribbon nicely in 2010 (not in 2007 though) to make it more functional and more like the older menus. I've got mine setup that way.

    You can also download and install the Windows "RibbonCustomizer" application. There's a free version and a pay version. It removes the Ribbon and restores the menus in Office 2007.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Maybe we're both referring to the same thing. You can't shut off the Ribbon as in Mac Office 2011, but you can customize the Ribbon nicely in 2010 (not in 2007 though) to make it more functional and more like the older menus. I've got mine setup that way.

    You can also download and install the Windows "RibbonCustomizer" application. There's a free version and a pay version. It removes the Ribbon and restores the menus in Office 2007.
    I'm talking about Mac Office 2011. You can create custom toolbars just as in previous versions of Mac Office. You can use these in addition to, or instead of, the built-in toolbars and/or the Ribbon.

  12. #12

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,975
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    OK, I guess I misunderstood. Yes, you're correct. As a matter of fact that's what I did with my copy of Word 2011 and Powerpoint 2011.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Word for MAC 2011
    By doninwash in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 02:41 PM
  2. word 2011 mac os
    By savedbygrace in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
  3. Word for Mac 2011
    By Mumonkan in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM
  4. Word documents created in word 2003 on a pc won't open in Mac word 2011
    By nevergettoride in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  5. Encrypting Word Lists in Mac Word 2011
    By mrlovesbio in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •