New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problems with Safari 6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beleg Cuthalion

Beleg Cuthalion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz 10.7.4, iPhone 4

After downloading Safari 6, I noticed that there are a couple issues with it for me. After quitting the browser and reopening it, the previous windows always open, even if the computer has restarted. I would prefer the homepage to open, and I remember in Safari 5 there was a preference to change that, but I don't see one here.
Also, the thumbnails on all my bookmarks and saved pages keep disappearing for some reason. This might be after I clear the history, which I have set to daily, but not sure why that would be.

I've noticed a couple stranger issues such as once or twice the homepage being reset to apple.com and once the folder for downloaded files being switched back after changing it. These were probably flukes, but I really hope there is a solution to the above two problems. I kind of like the single search bar, but overall I wish I hadn't upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

I haven't experience those but I have problem quitting it. I just updated to Safari 6 two days ago.
Sometimes it's hard to quit the program and I need to force quit it or else I can't shutdown my mac.

Regarding the home page, it should be there still.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of OSX are you running? Safari 6 here in that way works like it did before. Lion and Mountain Lion default brings back open apps exactly where they were when the system shuts down.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

I'm running Lion 10.7.4. I think the issue is more on Safari 6. Have you experienced the same dtravis7?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I had it do the same thing with Safari 5 also in Lion as I have Lion open Safari to where I was when I rebooted. So no, Same exact behavior in ML with Safari 6.
QUOTE Thanks
Beleg Cuthalion

I'm running Lion 10.7.4. I don't see any option to open with the homepage like there was in Safari 5.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleg Cuthalion View Post
I'm running Lion 10.7.4. I don't see any option to open with the homepage like there was in Safari 5.
Seriously?
- Safari
- Preferences
- General
- Homepage
QUOTE Thanks
Beleg Cuthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CebuCity View Post
Seriously?
- Safari
- Preferences
- General
- Homepage
I'm not talking about when I open new windows, I have that set. I mean when I quit safari and then reopen it, it goes back to the last page I was on. I wish it would just always open the homepage.

In Safari 5, there was an option to reopen previous pages or not, but I don't see that here.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I do not remember that option in Safari. It was here always an Lion and now Mountain Lion thing.

Found a solution for you. Taking Screenshot. Be right back.

System Preferences, General. Look at the Screen Shot. It works.

It might be different if you are in another OS. This is in Mountain Lion.

In 10.7.4. Here is a screen shot. Uncheck that and close safari. Works perfectally here.

First pic is in Mountain Lion, 2nd Pic is in Lion. I just knew it was an OS setting.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 1.18.03 PM.png (124.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 1.31.08 PM.png (99.5 KB, 52 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Beleg Cuthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I do not remember that option in Safari. It was here always an Lion and now Mountain Lion thing.
Ah, thanks a lot. I forgot that it was in system preferences and not safari, should have looked.

Does anyone else have trouble with the thumbnails? I wonder if they'll release an update to fix that at some point.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What is the thumbnail issue. Can you explain a bit more? I have not noticed anything so far.
QUOTE Thanks
Beleg Cuthalion

Basically the icons next to each link in my bookmarks that are normally that page's icon keep resetting to the blank blue globe. This happens when the history is cleared, which I have at daily (so every day they're reset until I visit them again.) This used to never happen except maybe when I cleared the cache and everything with Onyx.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

What I do not enjoy is the lack of the Google search window. And after advancing severl links the back button cannot get back to where one started from.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
What I do not enjoy is the lack of the Google search window. And after advancing severl links the back button cannot get back to where one started from.
Harry, I was having that last part just before upgrading to Safari 6 and ML.

I do miss the separate Search window, but knew this was coming. See what Google Chrome started!
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
I agree. You can't use the back to search results after clicking one of the links.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ITunes - print options | Is Mavericks Mail fixable? »