New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Word for Mac spellcheck problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery is on a distinguished road

Hello

I run an iMac currently running Mac OS X 10.6.8, which I bought (big mistake, everything now runs much more slowly) as a prelude to buying Lion (I didn't bother, having read so many lousy reviews).

I also run MS Word for Mac 12.3.1 on which - today - spellcheck seems to have stopped working. I can enter any garbage I like in a doc, spellcheck will ignore it totally. I have looked at my 'spelling and grammar' preferences and the following boxes are ticked (checked):
  • Check spelling as you type
  • Always suggest corrections
  • Ignore words in UPPERCASE
  • Ignore words with numbers
  • Ignore internet and file addresses

Can anyone suggest a fix? I tried a re-boot to see if it was a temporary glitch but that did not result in any change.

Thanks.

[Later edit: On further investigation the problem seems to be limited to a single document. On the one hand that's good to know, on the other hand the document in question is a university essay! I will log further developments as they happen.]
QUOTE Thanks
wired

wired is on a distinguished road

Did you work this one out?

I had the same problem - also with a single doc.... The issue occurs when you copy/paste stuff from another doc that has different prefs set.

Go the the doc, highlight all, go to tools / language and de-select 'do not check for spelling or grammar' (mine was neither blank, nor checked, it had a - in the box meaning the preferences were out of synch)

I had previously sent my doc to our IT guys (who run PCs) and the same doc worked fine on theirs, so it does appear to be a mac specific issue

wired
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Latest version is 12.3.3 for Office 2008. Download and see if there is an improvement. If not, use the uninstaller in 2008 to remove and do a clean install and update.

Microsoft Office for Mac Downloads and Updates | Office For Mac

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Rather than finding the solution myself, the problem simply hasn't occurred since and I forgot about it. I'll take a note of your advice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VLC 2.0.1 (64 bit) won't play visual .mp4 file | Photoshop CS5.1 issue »