MS Word for Mac spellcheck problem

I run an iMac currently running Mac OS X 10.6.8, which I bought (big mistake, everything now runs much more slowly) as a prelude to buying Lion (I didn't bother, having read so many lousy reviews).

I also run MS Word for Mac 12.3.1 on which - today - spellcheck seems to have stopped working. I can enter any garbage I like in a doc, spellcheck will ignore it totally. I have looked at my 'spelling and grammar' preferences and the following boxes are ticked (checked):

• Check spelling as you type
    • Always suggest corrections
    • Ignore words in UPPERCASE
    • Ignore words with numbers
    • Ignore internet and file addresses

Can anyone suggest a fix? I tried a re-boot to see if it was a temporary glitch but that did not result in any change.

[Later edit: On further investigation the problem seems to be limited to a single document. On the one hand that's good to know, on the other hand the document in question is a university essay! I will log further developments as they happen.]

Did you work this one out?

I had the same problem - also with a single doc.... The issue occurs when you copy/paste stuff from another doc that has different prefs set.

Go the the doc, highlight all, go to tools / language and de-select 'do not check for spelling or grammar' (mine was neither blank, nor checked, it had a - in the box meaning the preferences were out of synch)

I had previously sent my doc to our IT guys (who run PCs) and the same doc worked fine on theirs, so it does appear to be a mac specific issue

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    Latest version is 12.3.3 for Office 2008. Download and see if there is an improvement. If not, use the uninstaller in 2008 to remove and do a clean install and update.

Microsoft Office for Mac Downloads and Updates | Office For Mac
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thanks for the info. Rather than finding the solution myself, the problem simply hasn't occurred since and I forgot about it. I'll take a note of your advice.

Thread Information