New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Email goes to either Mac Mail or iPhone email, not both

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tyr0n3

Tyr0n3 is on a distinguished road

So I have a bit of an odd problem that never occurred before, that is until I got my new Macbook Pro and decided to combine all of my email into one app, the Mac (Apple) Mail.app. The issue is that I have my gmail, hotmail, and university mail all coming into Mail.app. I also have those 3 email accounts coming into the mail app on my iPhone. Separately they both work like a charm. Never had issues with my iPhone email (except Google's stupid 2 step notification). Except now that I have the accounts on my Mac mail (Mail.app) as well, I've noticed that when a new email comes in, it either appears in my iPhone inbox or in my Mac mail inbox, but not both. Usually, if my computer is on, the mail always goes to the mac mail, not the iPhone. Once i shut down my computer or put it to sleep, the mail returns to my iPhone email once again. I have even noticed a few times that for a few seconds, both my computer and my iPhone will show the new message; then after a few seconds, the new message will disappear on my iPhone, but remain on my computer Mac mail.

Is it possible to have my iPhone and my computer using mac mail (Mail.app) both sync with all my email accounts, and both sources will operate smoothly together? As in if a new email comes in, my computer and my iPhone will show it. If i delete a message on my iPhone, it will delete it on my computer, and vice versa. You would have thought all this would have worked in tandem by default, but obviously it's not. I do not like that the email applications work with either my mac mail or my iPhone mail, but not both, and not together.
QUOTE Thanks
JDL

JDL is on a distinguished road

Tyr0n3, have you found a solution for this? I have the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Tyr0n3

JDL, sorry I have not found a 'real' soction to this. I realized that the problem only seemed to occur on my Hotmail account on the MacMail application, so I eventually just removed that account from my MacMail. It seems to work correctly with Gmail and Outlook, just not Hotmail. So back to the browser based Hotmail.
However, Hotmail still work correctly with the iPhone mail app. So it's all a bit confusing to me still. Seems to me like a bug in the Mail.app on mac computers. I'm hoping with the release of OS6 that will incorporate notifications much like the iPhone, they will release a new mail.app that mirrors the iPhone mail app. That could potentially solve the problem entirely.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you setup your email accounts to use IMAP rather than PoP that problem will not occur. I know GMail offers a free IMAP account but am not sure Hotmail and other providers do.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you setup your email accounts to use IMAP rather than PoP that problem will not occur. I know GMail offers a free IMAP account but am not sure Hotmail and other providers do.
Agreed.

This is down to Hotmail not offering IMAP (a two way protocol which will give you the synchronicity you're after) . It's POP only on desktop. They get around this on iOS by using an Exchange server but for whatever reason neither IMAP or exchange is offered for email.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Tyr0n3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Agreed.

This is down to Hotmail not offering IMAP (a two way protocol which will give you the synchronicity you're after) . It's POP only on desktop. They get around this on iOS by using an Exchange server but for whatever reason neither IMAP or exchange is offered for email.
Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully Mountain Lion addresses this when it comes out next month.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr0n3 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully Mountain Lion addresses this when it comes out next month.
There's nothing that can be done in the mail client or the operating system. Microsoft have to offer IMAP or exchange on Hotmail for the desktop platform

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Make shapes transparent in Preview? | you tube »