New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to restore Outlook identities?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris18

Chris18 is on a distinguished road

Help! I updated Microsoft Office & had an issue. Kept getting a message that the database had to be rebuilt. Then I'd get a message saying the db I'd selected was older.. So I created a new one and rebuilt that. Outlook opened & I thought I was good to go. But ALL my email data is gone.

The old identity db is still in the Office 2011 Identities folder. Is there a way to re-connect to it? Or a way to restore from Time Machine (Backed up yesterday)?

Thanks for any help! If I can't restore I'd lose 6 years of emails.

Edit- I should clarify that if I simply re-connect to the old db through the Microsoft Database Management Utility, I get thrown back to the original error message that I need to rebuild the db... So it's not as simple as that. Can I add the old db as a sort of sub-db, like importing data from an older version of Outlook?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Tried restoring via Time Machine. For some reason the newly restored identity (original one) is not working.

I tried moving the files from the restored identity into the folder for the new identity. Immediately got a message that the new identity needed to be rebuilt. Tried doing that and it got me back to my original error message, saying the db cannot be rebuilt.

I also restored the App folder with Time Machine, which I thought would solve everything right away.

So restoring apps & documents didn't work. What am I missing here?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris18

Deleted Microsoft Office file from Mac & restored via Time Machine.
The Deleted Identities folder & restored via Time Machine.
Rebuilt original identity & tried to use it. Got an error message saying it needed to be rebuilt (again?), which is usually caused by restoring with Time Machine. Okaaaaaaaaaay, so I rebuilt again.

VOILA. Old emails all returned! Figured I'd leave this up in case anyone else has the same problem, since I see many guests viewing this.

Thanks for taking the last 4 hours of my life Microslough.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Non-responding Word icon ("W") on dock | iMail won't get emails »