New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How Can I "Fix" The Spinning Beachball?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I had Onyx when I was running Snow Leopard on my MacBookPro. I upgraded to LION and installed Onyx for that OS. Now, quite often I get the Onyx box telling me to "move it to my Applications folder," plus the Onyx icon. I pull them into the trash and that's it but it's happening practically all the time. How can I delete Onyx from my system? Is there an Uninstall program I should use or can I just drag it from the Apps folder to the Trashcan? Thanks very much for your help.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Lately, the "spinning beachball" pops up for apparently no reason at all (when I'm in my Address Book or have just closed a FireFox window, etc.). It stays active for several minutes. Evidently something needs fixing, but I'm a Mac newbie and don't have a clue.

What can I do to prevent this? Thank you very much for your help.

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Repairing disk permissions is always a good place to start, but what does your disk free space look like?
You should try to keep at least 15% and performance will begin to degrade rapidly as it drops below 10%

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

I have a 250 GB HD with 210 available.

I had no problems until I downloaded and installed Onyx, and the Onyx install box comes up a lot, telling me to put it in my Applications folder, which I did when I first installed it.

Will it hurt anything to drag the Onyx application to the trashcan and kill it? Then I'll reboot.

Thank you.

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I had no problems until I downloaded and installed Onyx, and the Onyx install box comes up a lot, telling me to put it in my Applications folder, which I did when I first installed it.
Any chance you dragged the .dmg of ONYX to the applications folder instead of the application itself? (that's what the error message sounds like)

Do you have a lot of disk images (icons of a hard drive) left mounted on your desktop?
When you're done with an application, do you quit the app and not just close the window?
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

I don't have a .dmg; all My applications show are two OnyX files: OnyX.app and OnyX2.4.5.

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
skyrim

skyrim is on a distinguished road

May be the Onyx was not installed properly. Try to uninstall it. And check if the machine get back to normal.
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Should I drag the files to the Trashcan and then clean it out? I think that's the only way I can delete them.

- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Post moved to correct forum. OnyX is not an iOS application.....

Download OnyX again and this time use the uninstall application that comes with the program to remove it. Although I don't know why you wish to uninstall it as OnyX is a very useful application for cleaning and speeding up your Mac.

Download LINK
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Merged threads...both threads Onyx & Mac slow-down related.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imovies help | Onyx...in what order do I run features? »