New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Serious question - Shell for OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkyB86

MarkyB86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini (Mid 2010) 2.4ghz C2D, 8GB Ram

Since OSX is a Unix derivative, with a little work could you get KDE or GNOME running on top of it?
Actually my question is, has anyone ever heard of anyone else trying?

I think I would give it a shot as I can't find evidence.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Mac OS X already uses a shell called Aqua. See this LINK from Wikipedia. Gnome is an Aqua copy cat and KDE a Windows copy cat so why would you want either one?
QUOTE Thanks
MarkyB86

Seriously?

Because both are completely different interfaces. Neither of them work as Windows or Mac's interfaces. GNOME only really looks like OSX in Ubuntu, and that is only because of a bar across the top. However that bar is for program management, and nothing to do with the running app. I'm not familiar how it works in the newest version but gnome does not mimic OSX besides the left side window control buttons. KDE has gone through a lot of changes through the years, and yeah it has a start menu clone, but it is smooth and its just a different interface to use rather than the Finder in OSX, Aqua is just the theming used in the Finder, rather than Platinum which was the previous theme.

Anyway I did find out that at least KDE has ports to install it on OSX or even in windows. I guess I answered my own question.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I installed KDE because I wanted to try out Umbrello for UML. Konqueror and Umbrello both run fine. Are you trying to replace the entire UI?

Install macports - and port search kde. You'll find a bunch of stuff. I went off of this webpage
Mark Aufflick's Weblog
I believe there is a kde-devel port that came with pretty much everything for kde.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkyB86

**** yeah thats exactly what I am looking to do. I want to use KDE but I dont want to format and ditch OSX or partition, flash drive boot, etc. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Call me crazy, but I bought a Mac to use it as a Mac, not as some pretend-Linux-wannabe machine.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkyB86

Call me crazy, but I'm not trying to impose what you should do with your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the best method to download HD YouTube video?? | How would you stop Mac from automatically unzipping files? »