New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Running games off of an external hard drive...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lvd54444

lvd54444 is on a distinguished road

I am running out of space on my hard drive and have some games and expansions I would like to install. Is it possible to install them onto my external hard drive and be able to run them successfully? How would I do it? I am currently running Lion on my main system.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It really depends on the game. If it's reliant on the game files being in a certain directory, it could be tricky to get it to run entirely from an external. Also, you have to consider the fact that depending on the bus connection you're using, you could degrade the performance of the game having it on an external (particularly USB2 external drives - it would be less of a concern with Firewire 800).

You can use aliases to trick most applications into believing that their files are in the original location. That may be something to try.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lvd54444

lvd54444 is on a distinguished road

I have some games and applications I want to install but I am running out of space on my hard disk. I have an external hard drive with plenty of space. Would I be able to install OSX on my hard drive along with the apps so I can run them there? Would this be worth doing or a viable option? Would I need to install OSX on my external hard drive to run installed apps from there?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

My humble suggestion .... keep things simple and install a larger internal disk in your machine.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And please do not cross post. Only post your question to one forum and continue with the same thread. Your posts have been merged together.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Language Translator Widget | Strange issue with MS Excel »