New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iTunes on multiple computers, Apple TV, and an iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Rabble was supposed to be Readable as in I verified that after copying the files to the NAS I could option-iTunes and pick THAT library. Worked fine the first time until I added that folder to my PC, when it made the Mac go stupid as in it could no longer find any of the files. After deleting and recopying a second time the Mac claimed it was connected to the NAS copy but "show in finder" kept showing files in the music folder on my mac.

No clue. Need sleep.

Thanks, I'll play again in the AM.

PS: My ratings are important so I'd like to keep that so the smart playlist get sync'ed properly to my iPhone (Preferably from my MBP and not the PC...but that's not a deal breaker.)
The Mac SHOULDN'T see the files on the NAS in iTunes if the Home Sharing model is followed.

1. The NAS holds the media (ie media folder copied onto NAS).

2. The PC has iTunes installed which uses the library settings/index files (these are the .itl and .xml files) to control/manage the media on the NAS and shares out the library across the network using Home Sharing

3. Every other device, that wants access to the media, connects to the PC via Home Sharing.

4. No device should want or need to connect directly to the NAS except the PC that's controlling/running the iTunes library.

A setup like this will (as per my earlier post) solve the scenario described in your first post.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

OK, one last post and then bedtime. I had this all typed out and safari when nuts and closed the page.

I thought I try something different and rather than manually copy the entire iTunes folder to the NAS I would use iTunes to "move" the media to the NAS. Except it only moved the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder and nothing else. I tried to undo that and now I have 98% of the music directly under the "<username>/Music" folder and the other 2% in "/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" folder where it's supposed to be.

Any clue what happened? I followed Apple's instructions to the letter and it got my library totally messed up.

<sigh>
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

The
Quote:
"Automatically Add to iTunes" folder
isn't a standard iTunes folder, so I can't help you there. This must be from a script or third party tool.

assuming you used these instructions:iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

This process only 'copies' the data. It doesn't change anything on your Mac until step 14 when you drag it to the trash. But even then, if you'd done this before checking the NAS copy you can just restore it from the trash.

I guess it depends on which instructions you followed and how you went about UNDOing the process.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
"Automatically Add to iTunes" folder isn't a standard iTunes folder, so I can't help you there. This must be from a script or third party tool.
Actually, as of iTunes 9 (I think) it is. I stumbled across discussions of it while hunting for clues.
Quote:
assuming you used these instructions:iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

This process only 'copies' the data. It doesn't change anything on your Mac until step 14 when you drag it to the trash. But even then, if you'd done this before checking the NAS copy you can just restore it from the trash.

I guess it depends on which instructions you followed and how you went about UNDOing the process.
Don't have time now, I seem to have everything back to where I started. I'll play with this some more, but the bottom line was that nothing copied except "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. I have errands to run now, will tackle this again later. May be a couple days (work schedule)

Really, I do thank you for hanging in with me...
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Appreciate the help but I gave up trying to use iTunes to move the media folder. The "it just works" mantra did not apply in this case. I followed the instructions in that web site TO THE LETTER and nothing copied except the above mentioned folder. Instead I simply copied the whole iTunes folder over to the NAS and then connected to the iTunes catalog.itl file from the PC. Seems to work. Using Home to connect to the PC from my MBP. So far so good.

Two questions:

1) I thought I had read that I can copy media from the home share "master" to the local machine (like movies I want to watch on the road) but can't find that site again and can't seem to figure it out.

2) How do I stop my iPhone from connecting the the laptop? I connected it to the PC and it sync'ed ok to my original library, but as soon as that sync was over it started another sync with my MBP. Don't want that...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Two questions:

1) I thought I had read that I can copy media from the home share "master" to the local machine (like movies I want to watch on the road) but can't find that site again and can't seem to figure it out.
Once you've setup Homesharing (as per the link above), you'll see the name of the PC library in the sidebar on the left in iTunes on your Mac.
Click on that PC library name and give it a moment to retrieve the information.
Now you'll have a small arrow next to the PC library name, click this and you'll see all the different types of media that have been shared (movies, musics, books, apps etc).
Click on Movies (for example) and the right-hand pane will list all the shared movies.
To add them to your Mac library just select the ones you want and drag and drop them into your movies folder (top-left in iTunes).
This will start the copy process - the speed of which depends on how much stuff you're copying across and the performance of your network
Quote:
2) How do I stop my iPhone from connecting the the laptop? I connected it to the PC and it sync'ed ok to my original library, but as soon as that sync was over it started another sync with my MBP. Don't want that...

Thanks!
I'm guessing you're using wi-fi sync?
Open iTunes on your Mac.
Select your iPhone in the iTunes sidebar.
Untick the 'sync this iPhone over wifi'
apply

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« skype ( 5.5.0.2340 ) ... please help | FCE vs FCPX »