New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Empire Total War for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beleg Cuthalion

Beleg Cuthalion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz 10.7.4, iPhone 4

So last week Feral announced Empire Total War for mac, which was long awaited and incredibly awesome because I love the total war games and would much prefer to play them on a mac.

The only thing is, the system requirements say that it does not support a NVIDIA 9400 graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, which I assume is sadly in the same category. Is this true? Is there any chance it would still run anyways, even on lower graphics settings? I suppose its time to upgrade, but probably won't happen for a little while.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

According to "Paulthetall" it works with the nVidia 9400 series. See this LINK. Also keep in mind that it's a port and needs a wrapper.
QUOTE Thanks
Beleg Cuthalion

Beleg Cuthalion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz 10.7.4, iPhone 4

Thanks for the link. Hopefully that's the same for the native version.
QUOTE Thanks
iidx036

iidx036 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 2.5 GHz i5

Having taken delivery of my iMac 2 weeks ago (first ever non-PC - and I cannot be more pleased), this was one of the few games series I play. It was a shame that I had to run boot camp and run it on Windows 7. However, saying that I have no issues with it and it runs great.

I was a bit wary of reading quite a few posts about Empire causing overheating of the graphics though, so I keep the video settings on medium.

Anyone had any of the overheating issues at all running this on an iMac?

Cheers
Jay
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Anyone had any of the overheating issues at all running this on an iMac?
I don't run that particular game, however, an iMac can run graphic intensive games and still stay fairly cool. The way the machine is built lends itself to good cooling. You'll notice cool air is drawn in at the bottom and warm air is exhausted from the top vents. Very efficient.

Download the free iStat Pro and monitor your iMac stats.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Ive played this game fine on a 9400 series card.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
edddeduck

edddeduck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleg Cuthalion View Post
So last week Feral announced Empire Total War for mac, which was long awaited and incredibly awesome because I love the total war games and would much prefer to play them on a mac.

The only thing is, the system requirements say that it does not support a NVIDIA 9400 graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, which I assume is sadly in the same category. Is this true? Is there any chance it would still run anyways, even on lower graphics settings? I suppose its time to upgrade, but probably won't happen for a little while.
The 9400M is a shared RAM card meaning it does not have any dedicated video RAM it just shares RAM with the CPU. It is not that powerful when it comes to gaming.

This is the major reason it is not on the provisional specifications is right now although the game might run on a 9400M is unlikely to give a smooth experience especially later in the game.

However if things change between now and the final specification being announced we will let you know.

We don't prevent users playing on under specification machines or on unsupported operating systems, the only reason we would disable a game from being loaded is if we know the game will hang or crash due to missing hardware or software features on your machine.

We believe minimum specification should not just mean the game runs but that the game runs and the game can be played all the way through (and Empire maps get huge near the end, so a good frame rate at the beginning does not mean you get a good one after unlocking the entire globe) without major performance issues. If the 9400M passes those tests then it will make the final spec, that's why it is called provisional

Edwin

Feral Interactive
QUOTE Thanks
edddeduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
If the 9400M passes those tests then it will make the final spec, that's why it is called provisional
The 9400M is supported in the final specification. As long as you meet all the other settings you can play fully supported on the 9400M.

Edwin
QUOTE Thanks
lurtri

lurtri is on a distinguished road

does anyone know how to get mods on Empire Total War? please help or how to script them
QUOTE Thanks
edddeduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtri View Post
does anyone know how to get mods on Empire Total War? please help or how to script them
Some Mac users have gotten some mods working. Best way is to read the PC modding instructions and join an Empire modding community the Mac and PC game data is identical so modding the Mac data is very similar to modding the PC once you find the location of the data.

Our Facebook site has a few fans modding right now.

Good luck!

Edwin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Daily agenda/tasks/schedule/to do list | no "open recent" items with TextEdit. »