New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Single spacing in Word 2011 looks like 1.5 spacing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

astewar1

astewar1 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to type a document that is double spaced. When I type the document in single spacing, it looks more like it's about 1.5 spacing, so when I change the line spacing to double, the spacing is far larger than it should be. When I go into the Paragraph dialogue box, the Before and After boxes are set to 0 pt, and the line spacing is set to single. However, the document does NOT look like it is in single spacing (and previous documents I've typed do show correct spacing). This happens each time I try to open a new file, and it persists even after I've rebooted the computer.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Irving Ragweed

Irving Ragweed is on a distinguished road

I've had this same issue, and can't find any information on it. All responses I've seen elsewhere suggest the obvious regarding spacing before and after, and selecting "single" spacing.

Let me know if you're able to figure anything out.
QUOTE Thanks
Irving Ragweed

Irving Ragweed is on a distinguished road

So, I don't quite understand what's happening in this fix, but it works. The basic instructions are here:
Office 2011 for Mac: Change Word’s Default Document - For Dummies. Follow the instructions beginning with "You can overwrite the Normal.dotm template..."

To fix this specific problem, you'll need a file generated from someone else's Word, where single spaced really means single spaced. Once you open the Normal.dotm file, copy and paste text from the correctly spaced document--it should still be correctly spaced. Then delete the text, and save the document, as the Normal.dotm file.

Now, whenever you open a new document, it will display that same file as the blank document, with the proper spacing.

Cool! Hope this works for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new MacBook Pro, Old iTunes. NAS storage question | Time Machine restore only 1 partition? »