New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Software to CREATE images

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bradleyjmiles21

bradleyjmiles21 is on a distinguished road

Hi All, New to the forum!
Ive recently converted to a MacBook Pro from a windows laptop.
For work purposes i have to create different images at different sizes. On my old windows laptop i used 'Photoscape' but they don't have a Mac version. Can anyone recommend any FREE applications or software for Mac that will enable me to create images with text and pictures and effects.. I've tried GIMP but don't really like it lol
Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You can try LiveQuartz, that might meet your needs ...

If you're willing to cough up $30, I think you'll find that Pixelmator is a super-powerful option that's head and shoulders above the free stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
bradleyjmiles21

just read up on LiveQuartz, it says its a photo editor, i need to be able to create images from scratch too.

thanks for the reply tho
QUOTE Thanks
bradleyjmiles21

anyone got any other ideas? this is really frustrating me about Mac, supposed to be amazing at anything to do with images and there isn't anything that allows you to create images??
QUOTE Thanks
Fodge

Fodge has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM

Pages will be the easiest (by far) and cheapest option that will do what you ask. It's a great $79 (iWork suite) investment for your mac.
Maybe Graphic Converter....shareware, people like it. I personally hate it but I hate a lot of software.
I'm picky about interface and I'm a long time photoshop user so GC doesn't work for me but like I said, people like it.
The Mac OS is an operating system. It's the industry standard in design/publishing for many reasons (some of which haven't been valid for 5-10 years) but not because it's also an image editor. You need software that runs on the OS to do anything right? Good software by and large isn't free. Especially when it comes to complex things like image and video editing.

Computers don't make mistakes, they do what they do on purpose
~ Dale Gribble
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjmiles21 View Post
just read up on LiveQuartz, it says its a photo editor, i need to be able to create images from scratch too.

thanks for the reply tho
Photoscape : Free Photo Editing Software (Photo Editor) Download
Quote:
Photoscape is a fun and easy photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos.
I don't see a difference in description? Any photo editor will let you generate a new picture. It's just that drawing with it may not be ideal.

Gimp is a very good free one - and there are a lot of tutorials with it. It just takes some getting used to.

Usually free form drawing/pictures are done in some type of vector artwork editor like illustrator from adobe. See if any of these meet your needs.
Comparison of vector graphics editors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
QUOTE Thanks
Spellbinder

Spellbinder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 27'' iMac, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Gimp is finally Lion compatible: GIMP on OS X

My Original Music:
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjmiles21 View Post
anyone got any other ideas? this is really frustrating me about Mac, supposed to be amazing at anything to do with images and there isn't anything that allows you to create images??
Half the problem is you want something free.

Will SketchBook Express do what you need?
Mac App Store - SketchBook Express

There's also Seashore. It's based on GIMP, but is Mac-native and doesn't run under X11 (that annoys the daylights out of me).
http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_...ect/About.html

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Quietone

Quietone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

It would be nice to be able to afford a good graphics creator/editor program for me, too, but it won't happen for awhile, so I also need to find something free. I know the free programs aren't as good as the paid ones, but not everyone can afford to pay; it's not that they don't want to. We do our best with what we have. This machine costs quite a bit, wiped out savings but it's worth it.

I Love My Mac! I finally got an iPad Air.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The only free program that I can recommend is the GIMP which you can download from here. However, it's not exactly the easiest program to setup and get running right. But once you do, the results are great. It's not a "Photoshop" but it runs a close second in my opinion.

There's also Pixelmator mentioned earlier. It now sells for $14.99 in the Mac App store and is what I use because I need something with "training wheels".
QUOTE Thanks
Quietone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The only free program that I can recommend is the GIMP which you can download from here. However, it's not exactly the easiest program to setup and get running right. But once you do, the results are great. It's not a "Photoshop" but it runs a close second in my opinion.

There's also Pixelmator mentioned earlier. It now sells for $14.99 in the Mac App store and is what I use because I need something with "training wheels".
Hi, thanks for your advice. I might try GIMP when I'm feeling patient enough. If I can't figure it out, I'll just wait awhile and buy the other one.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Maybe if we had a clearer idea of what you mean by "creating images" we could offer better suggestions.

Drawing programs and painting programs let you "create" images -- but they are entirely different than photo-editing programs!
QUOTE Thanks
Quietone

True about drawing and painting programs. On my pc I have a program similar to Photoshop, it lets me draw and create, as well as doing photo editing, so I was wondering if there's anything like that, It came with a scanner that no longer works, but I manage to transfer the program to other machines, but I don't know if it'd work on the Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
Quietone

I just got SketchBook Express, it works ok, simple, kinda like the paintbrush program; I can make drawings with it.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

OR

there is always running Windows on a VM or via BootCamp . . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting from iPhoto | Spybot for iMac »