Thread: 6750M vs 6770M

6750M vs 6770M Video Cards
    Hello all!
    I'm currently writing from a Windows Laptop and will hopefully be replying from a Macbook Pro very soon.

I'm looking at both of the 15" MBP and the graphics card is one of the last things to settle on.

Basically it's between the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5 and the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5.

Although I am a photographer and do light video editing, it's my understanding that the GPU doesn't need to be a powerhouse for 2D rendering stuff that the CPU will mostly take care of. (correct me if I'm wrong.)

So that leaves the choice of graphics card to how they will affect my gaming performance.

I'm a simple gamer and usually stay away from massive multiplayer games like TES and MW3. I love the indie market and the most GPU intensive stuff I like to play is Portal 2 and Half Life 2.

Will buying the lower end model with the 6750M make that much of a difference in the type of games I'll be playing the next 5 years (when I'll probably upgrade again)?

I know HL3 is on the way and gods know how demanding that game will be (especially if they combine in with the Portal platform!! please please please), and I don't want to be left being able to play all my old games a blistering speeds while chugging along on anything new coming out.

Any input on these two cards?

Many thanks,

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    If you had the budget...I would say go for the 15" MacBook Pro with the 6770M. But $400 more is a fair amount of cash...and given that you say that you're a "simple gamer"...the 6750M will probably be fine.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    As with any new purchase or upgrade. Get the highest spec you can for your budget.

This is especially true of kit like a MacBook. There are so few parts that can be upgraded. Once the choice is made there's only hard disk and ram you can change.
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

Thread Information