New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I want to downgrade from iPhoto 11 to iPhoto 09

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trishajam

trishajam is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a new iMac and decided that I do not like iPhoto '11 and prefer the old '09 version. I've tried to install iLife 09 and when I run iPhoto 09, it says that it cannot run the old version and that I must run the newer one.

Is there a way around this??
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Do you have a TM backup with a iPhoto 09 Library ?? If not all is not lost.

I did find this that could be of some use.

Backup your current iPhoto ’11 installation, including the library
Reinstall iPhoto ’09 from the original installation disc
Launch iPhoto ’09
Locate your current iPhoto ’11 library in the ~/Pictures/ folder
Right-click or control-click the iPhoto ’11 library and select “Show Package Contents”
Drag the “Masters” folder into the iPhoto ’09 window to restore your photos. This will allow you to retain events, but will delete keepsakes, albums and other metadata.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trishajam

hi tattoedmac, i didn't lose anything. i'm not worried about losing photos. My problem is that I can't launch iPhoto 09 with my new iMac
QUOTE Thanks
trishajam

oh nevermind, i got it!! thank you! i just forgot to modify my ~/Pictures folder
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Hey I am trying to do same.

I upgraded my early 2009 imac to Mavericks and stupidly upgraded the iPhoto also (not sure if I did this purposely or it happened when I did the OS). I am not a big fan of iPhoto 9.5.1. I want my old iPhoto back.

In reading the above guidance from Tattooed Mac I have found numerous time machine backups I have and went into one the month before I upgraded the OS to Mavericks. I right clicked on iPhoto and did 'burn to disk". Will I be able to use this to reinstall my old version or do I have to use the bundled disk I got when I got my computer from Apple?

Do I uninstall iPhoto 9.5.1 before installing the old version? Also, is 9.5.1 considered iPhoto '11 or '09?

Also you mention backing up my iPhoto Library so I don't lose any pics. Is this not done when a time machine backup is performed? Cause if it is, I'm ok cause as I said I have lots. My computer backs up daily.

Thanks

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb used as iPod *Current phone Samsung Galaxy Note3* // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb // ...Ya I guess you could say I like Apple Products! //
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ooops

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Disregard

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb used as iPod *Current phone Samsung Galaxy Note3* // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb // ...Ya I guess you could say I like Apple Products! //
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Office 2011 for Mac not working. | Outlook 2011 on Mac - Rules. »