New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

HELP!crontab script displays output differently than command line

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spankincubus

spankincubus is on a distinguished road

hey guys, I was working on setting up a geeklet for my facebook news feeds.

heres what i am doing

1. I am running a script from crontab every five min.
heres the script. all im doing is removing html tags and tabs from the output of curl.

localhost:geeklets root# cat extrct_fb.sh
#!/bin/ksh

GEEKHOME=/Users/spankincubus/Documents/geeklets
FBLOG=${GEEKHOME}/sajal.txt

curl --silent "http://www.gencolee.com/fb/newsfeedrss.php?u=540891642&s=9f8513cc5b1c6472419e 24.0-540891642"|awk '/pubDate/,/\/description/'|sed 's/^I//g'|sed 's/<[^>]*>//g'|sed 's/\]\]>//g' |sed '/http/d;s/&nbsp;//g'|sed 's/^[^>]*0800$//g'|tr -d " "|fold|cat -s > ${FBLOG}

if [[ $? -eq 0 ]]; then
echo "FB logs written!"
else
exit 1
fi

The output of this script has no spaces between words:
localhost:geeklets root# cat sajal.txt

1RajeshKumar
AgneepathEffect♥

Beta:Mandwa

AlexisMcDaniel
Howaboutbeforewegetwastedtonight,wegetwastedtonigh t?Pregame.

AshwathGowdaDanihalli
PartyingWithMadhu,Harish,pavaninMalleswaram,Banglo re

Mashable
WhichChromepluginswouldyourecommend?

Domino'sPizza
Here’sasecrettoawinningpartyonSunday:placeaDomino’ spre-orderTODAY!

BUT

when i run the curl command from the command line the output(in italics) is flawless (spaces betn words are intact):

localhost:geeklets root# curl --silent "http://www.gencolee.com/fb/newsfeedrss.php?u=540891642&s=9f8513cc5b1c64761241 9e24.0-540891642"|awk '/pubDate/,/\/description/'|sed 's/ //g'|sed 's/<[^>]*>//g'|sed 's/\]\]>//g' |sed '/http/d;s/&nbsp;//g'|sed 's/^[^>]*0800$//g'|tr -d " "|fold|cat -s

1Ashwath Gowda Danihalli
Partying With Madhu , Harish , pavan in Malleswaram,Banglore

Mashable
Which Chrome plugins would you recommend?

Domino's Pizza
Here’s a secret to a winning party on Sunday: place a Domino’s pre-order TODAY!

Best Buy
Take the hassle out of moving your data from your old PC to that shiny new lapto
p.

Mashable
Will you be watching the streaming version of Super Bowl XLVI online?

Sierra Mist
Superbowl party tomorrow? Try out these festive cocktails for a perfect way to w
ash down those game day snacks!

Best Buy
Thank You to Dreams Come True for choosing Best Buy to fulfill Zowanda's wish fo
r electronics!

How can i get the same output from cronning script !
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Hmmm, I can't speak to this issue directly (I am neither a cron or sed expert) but I do know that GeekTool has a refresh function. With that, you can have GT refresh the script at a set interval. Maybe you could try that instead of using cron.

I also believe cron has been deprecated in OS X with launchd replacing it. It might be worth looking into that as well.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

tr -d " " <--- delete character "space"

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
spankincubus

spankincubus is on a distinguished road

thanks guys.. im stupid.. it was indeed the tr and sed.. i copied and pasted the code. and the ^I(tabs) got transformed to single spaces.

Silly of me. Sorry to waste you guys time..

its working perfectly now.

However i was thinking of refining it some more. i was thinking of making the output of the txt scrollable ie. print lines 0-10, then 11-21 ,.. and so on .. until end of file is reached.
the code is working on command line (see below) but when i call the script in the geektool, it doesnt show anything. any recommendations?

CODE

localhost:geeklets root# cat scroll.sh
#!/bin/ksh

typeset -i start=1
end=`wc -l test.txt|awk -F" " '{print $1}'`
typeset -i end1=$start+10
echo $start $end $end1

while [[ $start -lt $end ]]; do
clear
str="'${start},${end1}p' test.txt"
echo "sed -n $str"|/bin/ksh
start=${start}+1