New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tommyp85

tommyp85 is on a distinguished road

Hello there,
I was just wandering if I could pick everyones brain about something. I'm a relatively new mac user who is finding the gaming constraints on Mac an issue. The range of choice, plus the lack of gamepad compatability. I've been looking into purchasing Parallels to run PC games but is this the best option? Do I have to buy the latest Windows software aswell? I won't be using the PC elements for anything apart from gaming so what can people recommend?
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I'm not a gamer, but I am a satisfied Parallels user. There are basically two options:
1. Buy a virtual machine 3rd party program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion.
2. Use Bootcamp.

Gamers have specific opinions on these options, and someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

You will need a copy of Windows, but I cannot advise which version would be best for you.

This is a bit dated (2009), but seems to cover basics:
Switchers Guide: Run Windows on a Mac | Macworld

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
Spellbinder

Spellbinder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 27'' iMac, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

There's also a free virtual machine from Oracle. VirtualBox

My Original Music:
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Don't use a virtual machine to game - you'll be wasting your money. If you want to game, you really need to use Boot Camp and install Windows natively.

The reason for this is simple - virtual machines don't have direct access to the hardware (hardware is "emulated" for all intents and purposes) and because of this, you don't have direct access to the GPU. Thus, games that require the GPU to do heavy lifting (as in all 3D games) will fail miserably in a VM. If they do work, don't expect bearable frame rates.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Also don't forget Steam is available for the Mac. Many games have been ported and Steam allows you to install any games bought on Windows under the same user - to install to the Mac. (Not all games have been ported)

That being said - Vansmith is right - I tried a few old games on VMs and they work OK - but anything that actually requires hardware - anywhere close to your actual processor/GPU - won't run on a VM very well. Bootcamp is free - but you need a Windows license to install Windows on a bootcamp partiton.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boo...tall-setup.pdf
You'll need your install disks to put on the proper drivers on the Windows side.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Security update - Adobe cs2 - 1-5-12 | Adobe PageMill - Stuck »