New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Uninstalling and then using apps on another machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3

Hey.

Is there a way to uninstall correctly an app, which is registered to the laptop to then to be able to install it again on another laptop and use there?

I specifically want to uninstall my Mac Office 2008 which is running on my MBP, Snow Leopard and re-install it to my new MBA, running Lion.

When I recovered from time-machine once I set up my new MBA the Mac Office 2008 got transferred as well, but when I tried to open it, it said it was already registered to a user and cannot be opened on the MBA unless I "buy" another serial. Now I obviously don't want this and simply want to unregister it from my old MBP and register it anew to my MBA.

Is this possible?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The Microsoft Office 2008 package came with an uninstaller (and, if you bought the home/student edition, three serial numbers).

Use the Uninstaller to uninstall the software on your old laptop. THEN install the software on your new laptop. The serial number you used for the old one should now work on the new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The Microsoft Office 2008 package came with an uninstaller (and, if you bought the home/student edition, three serial numbers).

Use the Uninstaller to uninstall the software on your old laptop. THEN install the software on your new laptop. The serial number you used for the old one should now work on the new one.
I see. I found the uninstaller for MS Office 2008, however I also would like to uninstall the 2011 Office which I have on another machine, but there is no uninstaller. Shall I just drag it to trash or is there a more correct way of doing it?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I see. I found the uninstaller for MS Office 2008, however I also would like to uninstall the 2011 Office which I have on another machine, but there is no uninstaller. Shall I just drag it to trash or is there a more correct way of doing it?
Follow these instructions EXCEPT FOR STEP ONE (who the heck writes these things?!). Just quit your apps normally.

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Follow these instructions EXCEPT FOR STEP ONE (who the heck writes these things?!). Just quit your apps normally.

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011
All done, all set up, thanks for the tips.

But, wow does Office 2011 make it difficult to remove associated files!!! I mean, couldn't they create an uninstall program like in the previous version...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Been asking Microsoft that for a year now. Answer is .. silence.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't believe an uninstaller for Office 2011 would be effective. Office scatters so many files around in various places that even the Office 2008 uninstaller does not remove them all. I've uninstalled Office 2008 twice now and even after using their uninstaller had to dig out and remove files that the uninstaller overlooked.
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I don't believe an uninstaller for Office 2011 would be effective. Office scatters so many files around in various places that even the Office 2008 uninstaller does not remove them all. I've uninstalled Office 2008 twice now and even after using their uninstaller had to dig out and remove files that the uninstaller overlooked.
Yea it was a pain going through all those folders, but eventually I managed it...

Though I know that on the MS Office website it is not recommended, but would it be possible to remove Entourage and Outlook from the relevant Office installations, since I don't use Entourage and Outlook requires an upgrade to Office Pro, which is ludicrous. I don't mean digging out separate scattered files which relate specifically to Entourage and Outlook, but at least the major programs which take up unnecessary space. Would it be safe and problem-free to use Office if I do the above?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I thought about doing the same thing myself since I do not use either Entourage nor Outlook. However, so many of the files and folders in Office and especially since the Office data base are common to all its apps, it's not advisable to try to remove files that refer only to Entourage or Outlook. You may wind up crashing Office and having to reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I thought about doing the same thing myself since I do not use either Entourage nor Outlook. However, so many of the files and folders in Office and especially since the Office data base are common to all its apps, it's not advisable to try to remove files that refer only to Entourage or Outlook. You may wind up crashing Office and having to reinstall.
Yea, I agree, but that's why I suggested not to look for separate files in other folders and simply trash the Entourage and Outlook apps (icons as it were)...sure files contained in just those apps are not used by other office apps??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Change the mail App Directory? | iPhoto Picture Storage Chaos »