New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Question re. "security message" when opening different apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3

Hey,

Does anyone know how to disable a very annoying message that always comes up when I open up, for instance, Skype on my MBA, running Lion.

Message reads:
<<"Skype" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?

Safari downloaded this file on 28 October 2011.>>

Just in case, my Firewall is turned off and even during the "on" setting, I have the Skype app added to the "safe list".

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-02-01 at 14.14.08.png (26.7 KB, 42 views)
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Completely disable quarantine of downloaded files - Mac OS X Hints

However, I'd keep it enabled. Lets say a rogue app somehow gets on your Mac, has some script that opens it.
That dialoge would stop it from opening and you would know it exists.

Your Mac, your choice

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Wait… does this dialoge come up every time you open a application no matter how many times it has been opened before?

QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Wait… does this dialoge come up every time you open a application no matter how many times it has been opened before?
Thanks for the tip.

Well...specifically for Skype, this message comes up every time I open the app...no matter how many times I've "ok'd" it before, it still comes up.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

This means you are running Skype for a disk image and have never actually installed it properly.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Yup, what chas_m said is probably what is happening, if not let use know

Installing and uninstalling applications

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This means you are running Skype for a disk image and have never actually installed it properly.
Not necessarily. I have had this pop up at times where have had to force quit a App and re-open it. Its happened when i have done a MainMenu clean up and opened up Apps. This happens to me at unexpected times. I know where the OP is coming from.
Its hasn't bugged me enough to find a fix, but it does happen when you aren't running it from a disk image . . . . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

True but that is not really typical of Skype. I don't remember seeing that the last time I used Skype. Barring the situations you mentioned such as after force quits, the only time I see that is when running from a disk image or the first run after an install.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Thanks guys. It turns out that somehow the app wasn't installed properly. After I trashed it and reinstalled it again, the message no o=longer appears when I open the app.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
True but that is not really typical of Skype. I don't remember seeing that the last time I used Skype. Barring the situations you mentioned such as after force quits, the only time I see that is when running from a disk image or the first run after an install.
I know what your saying and glad the OP took the advice and all is good. I have it random, and not necessarily with Skype. HB is another that does it for me too. Not a huge deal as i havnt poked out a answer. Very rarely too.
I got gremlins lol

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I know what your saying and glad the OP took the advice and all is good. I have it random, and not necessarily with Skype. HB is another that does it for me too. Not a huge deal as i havnt poked out a answer. Very rarely too.
I got gremlins lol
hehe, yea!

One other thing that bugs me are the messages that pop up once I enable Firewall.
"Do you want the application "app name" to accept incoming network connections? Clicking Deny may limit the application's behaviour. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of Security preferences."

However, even though I have the app in the "safe list" the message still crops up...very annoying. Any way of making these go away, apart from turning off the Firewall?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-02-05 at 14.48.17.png (30.4 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

No one else finds it annoying every time you open an app (such as iTunes or Word) and with Firewall enabled, the system always asks if the app is to accept incoming connections (even though it is safe listed)???
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

That problem only arises when you modify a code signed Application. By changing the icon, editing it's internals, etc.
On a clean, freshly installed iTunes version and other software as well this problem does not arise unless you change icons, etc.

This is why I'm annoyed with Skype, they take it to a even more extreme level with Skype 5. Change anything, anything at all in it's icon appearances, and it will refuse to launch because it can't verify itself anymore.

QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
That problem only arises when you modify a code signed Application. By changing the icon, editing it's internals, etc.
On a clean, freshly installed iTunes version and other software as well this problem does not arise unless you change icons, etc.

This is why I'm annoyed with Skype, they take it to a even more extreme level with Skype 5. Change anything, anything at all in it's icon appearances, and it will refuse to launch because it can't verify itself anymore.
Well, then this makes it even more peculiar, because I never made any kind of changes to the apps / icons / etc...as you mention in your reply.

The picture talks about printerAgent - I don't even know this app, have never seen it or changed it...this is so bizarre...I can't even find it in my directory...I simply safe listed a similar one just in case: "com.hp.printerAgent.plist"
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
No one else finds it annoying every time you open an app (such as iTunes or Word) and with Firewall enabled, the system always asks if the app is to accept incoming connections (even though it is safe listed)???
You could just turn off the software firewall. It's unnecessary and was shipped in the "off" position by default. For a reason.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with the GIMP | Libreoffice (and NeoOffice and Open Office) crash »