unarchiving zip files
    Please tell me a more appropriate forum to be in if this one is not the right place.

I just purchased some music online which arrived in my computer as 4 zip files. (It's the new 76-song Amnesty International Dylan tribute, Chimes of Freedom.)

It used to be that I could double click on a zip file and it would automatically unarchive. Not any more. I wonder if it is because of my recent OS upgrade?

I am using an iMac with OS X 10.7.2. The version 2.7.1 Unarchiver.app says it can't extract this .zip file.

I also have VLC v.1.2.12 which does odd things to the .zip files. I've googled unarchivers but it's a whole big confusing world out there.

Any suggestions on what I might do to open these 4 zip files with all this glorious music in them?

Thanks.

unarchiving zip files
    Please tell me a more appropriate forum to be in if this one is not the right place.

I just purchased some music online which arrived in my computer as 4 zip files. (It's the new 76-song Amnesty International Dylan tribute, Chimes of Freedom.)

It used to be that I could double click on a zip file and it would automatically unarchive. Not any more. I wonder if it is because of my recent OS upgrade?

I am using an iMac with OS X 10.7.2. The version 2.7.1 Unarchiver.app says it can't extract this .zip file.

I also have VLC v.1.2.12 which does odd things to the .zip files. I've googled unarchivers but it's a whole big confusing world out there.

Any suggestions on what I might do to open these 4 zip files with all this glorious music in them?

Thanks.

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    You can always use unzip from the command line.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how to do that. You mean like writing code?

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    You should be able to open the Terminal.app located in:
    Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app
    On the command line use the cd (change directory) command to navigate to where the zip file is located. If it's on your Desktop the command would be something like:
    cd /Users/yourusername
    Then just type unzip and the file name:
    unzip yourfilename.zip
    That should open the file for you.
    There is also a help menu if you type:
    man unzip
    Hit the return key or spacebar to scroll down through the instructions.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Thank you. I'll try that. Tomorrow!

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Download Pacifist. When open dont donate yet. Then in the window that says open package click on that and navigate to the zip file. Open it and should bring you up a list of all the contents you want to extract.
    Click all the files you want to extract then hit the 'extract to' tab up the top and navigate to where you want the files to go, click choose then 'extract'.

Hope you have your music.

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    If you go to your other thread (No need to double post) i left a answer to your problems, but with a copy and paste ;

Download Pacifist. When open dont donate yet. Then in the window that says open package click on that and navigate to the zip file. Open it and should bring you up a list of all the contents you want to extract.
    Click all the files you want to extract then hit the 'extract to' tab up the top and navigate to where you want the files to go, click choose then 'extract'.

Hope you have your music.

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Please do not cross post. (posting the same question to more than one forum)

And pay attention to the forum descriptions before posting. I moved and merged the threads here where they belong.

Thanks.

Thread Information