New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Best way to force empty trash?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stonecoldmark

stonecoldmark is on a distinguished road

I have a ton of files stuck in my trash bin, and I can't get it to empty. Several files are from a bunch of old backups that I no longer needed.

I tried an app called Tra****!, but it's not working for me.

Are there better suggestions out there to get this emptied.

I am running OSX 10.6.8

Thanks
Mark
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Open up Terminal and enter the following:
Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
Enter your password and voila.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
stonecoldmark

do I have to restart the computer after I enter the code and my password?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Execute that and your Trash will be empty.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
stonecoldmark

It's still not working. I enter the code hit enter, enter my password hit enter. Go to empty trash and I still get the error code and the trash won't empty.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

There is something not right here then, bc the Terminal command Vansmith gave you should of emptied the trash without you having to go there to empty it.

Try this Shift-Command-Option-Delete as a 4 key combo after opening the trash window.

Are you sure the files you are trying to trash don't have ANY system files in there what so ever ?? If you have one of those it might be stopping you emptying it.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldmark View Post
It's still not working. I enter the code hit enter, enter my password hit enter. Go to empty trash and I still get the error code and the trash won't empty.
That should have emptied the Trash. That command elevates the privileges and forces removal.

What is the exact error message you're getting?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
stonecoldmark

"The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)."
QUOTE Thanks
stonecoldmark

Nothing is working, I think I am going to take it in to an Apple Store this weekend.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
stonecoldmark

I just made my appointment for Sunday.
Thanks
Mark
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

i found this

Drag the file from your Trash bin to the Desktop.
Launch a Terminal Go > Utilities > Terminal and type the following into the terminal window leaving a space after f:

Code:
cd ~/.Trash && sudo rm -rf

Drag the file from your Desktop to the terminal window and then press Enter
Enter your password when prompted and press Enter

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

That command is essentially the same thing.

You don't need to "cd" to ~/.Trash if you're going to do the "sudo rm -rf" and drag file to Terminal method.

OP: Where did you delete these files from?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That command is essentially the same thing.

You don't need to "cd" to ~/.Trash if you're going to do the "sudo rm -rf" and drag file to Terminal method.
Yea well I'm not the resident nerd/geek around here so didn't know the difference. I thought it different as it asked to drag it to the desktop 1st. Im glad you pulled me up on that one vansmith

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Yea well I'm not the resident nerd/geek around here so didn't know the difference. I thought it different as it asked to drag it to the desktop 1st. Im glad you pulled me up on that one vansmith

Cheers
Haha, it's what I do best my good man.

If you're interested, your command set the Terminal prompt to work out of the .Trash directory (cd = change directory). The sudo bit executes the command with elevated privileges, rm removes it and -rf tells "rm" to remove the files recursively and to force it. Your friendly Unix tip of the day.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Haha, it's what I do best my good man.

If you're interested, your command set the Terminal prompt to work out of the .Trash directory (cd = change directory). The sudo bit executes the command with elevated privileges, rm removes it and -rf tells "rm" to remove the files recursively and to force it. Your friendly Unix tip of the day.
Ill be expecting them to continue to Professor . . . . *bows*

But in all sincerity i appreciate the lesson

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hotmail Smartscreen filter OFF | Two gmail accounts in one tab ? »