New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Need to convert .tiff to text

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dberch

dberch is on a distinguished road

Greetings fellow Mac-ers. I have several .tiff files containing some lists that I need to convert to text to allow Word or Pages to edit as text.

What is the best, easiest, and cheapest way to do this?

Thanks!
David
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

One thought is to open in Preview, save as .pdf (File>Export>PDF) and then copy and paste onto new Word/Pages document.
QUOTE Thanks
dberch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDaCat View Post
One thought is to open in Preview, save as .pdf (File>Export>PDF) and then copy and paste onto new Word/Pages document.
Just copies a picture in to Pages. I need to covert the picture to text. How do I do that please?

I just have Adobe reader. Are you asuming I have full-blown adobe?

Also just tried Save as Text from adobe and got a blank document.

Other options please?

Thanks!
David
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As far as I know, you can't convert a picture to text unless you use something like optical character recognition software. Can whoever you got this from send it to you in a more reasonable (parseable) format?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dberch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
As far as I know, you can't convert a picture to text unless you use something like optical character recognition software. Can whoever you got this from send it to you in a more reasonable (parseable) format?
Nope, he can't. He's less knowledgeable than I

So, we're back my to original question, perhaps a little better defined:

Is there a quick/easy/cheap way to convert .tiff containing text to an editable text format?

If this means OCR, then the question becomes:
What's the easiest/cheapest OCR program for MAC. Isn't there something native (comes with os x)?

Thanks!
David
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you save the doc as PDF I believe Google docs can do the OCR conversion for you

You will have to sign up for Google docs and give it a try

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
If you save the doc as PDF I believe Google docs can do the OCR conversion for you

You will have to sign up for Google docs and give it a try
Oh, this has made my day. This is fantastic. I just tried it now with a PDF where the "text" wasn't really text at all (like a scanned document). It did an admirable job - my biggest problem was the differentiation of words (it combined a few words) but other than that, it worked pretty well.

It creates a new document (assuming you tell GD to do this when you upload the document) wherein it inserts the text between pages. In other words, it will show one page of the PDF, the translated text, then the next pages, translated text and so on. It makes it nice and easy to compare the content to the original.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This will make me look like a genius the next time someone asks about this. Thanks Louishen.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Extensions | Turn off page view in Safari 5 »