New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Skype DMG wont mount

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mack Neaton

Mack Neaton is on a distinguished road

I have multiple dmg's on my desktop all of which mount except one. Skype.
I am running Mac 10.4.11 and there is multiple articles on the internet where dmg's wouldn't mount but it was too wide ranged. I downloaded an old version of skype for 10.4.11 via mac.old-apps. And the worst part is: Its worked fine in the past. I've mounted it previously but i was new to Mac and never copied the application into the Apps folder. One day i got on and it just wouldn't mount. I would click on it and it would look like it was going to open but it wouldn't.
I have a eMac PowerPC g4 processor if it matters
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm sorry, why would you ever need to mount a dmg more than once?
QUOTE Thanks
Mack Neaton

"I've mounted it previously but i was new to Mac and never copied the application into the Apps folder."
I didn't know what it was asking me to do so i would just double click on the icon and Skype would open. Since then I have figured out what it was asking but i cant now because the dmg wont mount. Hence the question.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

It might be corrupted. Try downloading it again.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Mack Neaton

already did. twice
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Is Skype open? If so then do the following:

Quit out of it and then eject the Skype icon on your desktop. Mount the Skype dmg. Drag and drop into your applications folder.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Mack Neaton

except for the fact that it wont mount
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Neaton View Post
except for the fact that it wont mount
What version of skype are you trying to install?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Mack Neaton

version 2.7.0.330 bc its compatible with Mac 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Try this <= version and see if it works.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The bottom line problem here is that you are not properly installing applications, you are trying to run them from the disk image, which as you've discovered is not correct.

Sometimes, DMG files mount PKG installers, and sometimes (as with Skype), the disk image opens to a pictorial representation of the program's icon and an alias to your Application folder. Drag the icon to the app folder and it will be copied to your Application folder.

Then you can eject the image and trash the DMG. You don't need them anymore.

From now you, you launch Skype from your Application folder, the Lauchpad if you use it, or by dragging the Application folder Skype icon to the dock and launching it from there.

This applies to all other downloaded programs.
QUOTE Thanks
Mack Neaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Try this <= version and see if it works.
I tried downloading it but when the download finished the icon in the downloads list turned into a white page and so when i click on it it said "Safari can't open the file "Skype" because no available application can open it." I found the downloaded disk image on my desktop and tried to open it but it did the exact same thing it did in my first post.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Have you tried downloading it with something other than Safari?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Mack Neaton

nah all I have is Safari and Light Browser bc i couldnt find a browser i liked that supported PPC with 10.4.11
Im currently trying to download using TenFourFox (Firefox)
Nope didn't work. When I opened it from the downloads list though, it said it was verifying and checking volumes and stuff, and at the end it said "Mounting" but when the dialogue box closed, no disk image
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Do a get info on the .dmg. Does the 'Open with' say DiskImageMounter?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing iPad with MBP and Android smartphone - via Google Calendar | help with deletion »