New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can StarWars:TOR work on my fully rigged Macbook with VMFusion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vanguy79

vanguy79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard

I have been watching all the gameplay videos of The Old republic MMORPG and I really wanted to try out the game. But I am hesitant to try it as right now, I am playing Skyrim on VMFusion on low setting and it still crash often with memory problems even though I assigned VMFusion WindowsXP the full 4GB of RAM. I mean it works but it is frustrating that Skyrim crash so often on my Macbook, not sure is it because of VMFusion or is it the game itself which is downloaded and run from Steam. So if I have this kind of experience with Slyrim, I don't want the same thing happen to me if I play SW:TOR that is why I put off playing it for now, anyone has ideas or opinions?

My specs:
13" Macbook 2009 Aluminium Unibody
4GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ
NVidia GeForce 9400M 256MB
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

seems your video card doest meet them minimum requirements of the game. but this does raise a question in my mind. i have chosen to use bootcamp instead of VMFusion. When i tried Fusion it seemed i couldn't use the specks of the Mac to there full potential? i could be wrong but i like bootcamp much better.

Welcome to the forums.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Games that require graphic acceleration do not play well or at all from within a Fusion VM. Supposedly Parallels does better, however, the best way to run either game is from natural Windows installed via Boot Camp.

The video drivers are by Fusion which means your OS X drivers for the nVidia chipset are not used. Also, unless you're running a 64 bit version of Windows, memory will always be limited to around 3 GB regardless of how much you assign to the VM.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Games that require graphic acceleration do not play well or at all from within a Fusion VM. Supposedly Parallels does better, however, the best way to run either game is from natural Windows installed via Boot Camp.

The video drivers are by Fusion which means your OS X drivers for the nVidia chipset are not used. Also, unless you're running a 64 bit version of Windows, memory will always be limited to around 3 GB regardless of how much you assign to the VM.
thanks for the clarification.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
vanguy79

vanguy79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks Chscag. Maybe that is why I can run Skyrim on the lowest settings in VMFusion but it crashes sometimes.
Well that means I have to do bootcamp naturally or I may just have to skip playing SW:TOR completely.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unlock Guest Account in 10.7.2 | Is this putting my computer at risk? »