New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Show us your OSX Terminal.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

CWA suggested a thread about how our OSX Terminals look and what colors we are using. Here is my Terminal in Lion. Color Scheme goes back to my Atari ST Terminal days.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-01-08 at 6.11.45 PM.png (176.5 KB, 61 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Ooooh, I like this thread.

Here's mine. I've changed the default config up a bit to meet my needs. I have a custom PS1 variable value (this is why my prompt is different from the default). So, instead of the the machine name:current directory username$ prompt, I have a simple current directory :: prompt. I've also made the background translucent with a slight blur.

van_term.jpg

In case you're interested, I've set PS1 to be the following:
Code:
PS1="\[\e[37;40m\]\w\[\e[31;40m\] :: \[\e[0m\]"

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Since I'm not connected to multiple machines on this box, ever, you can have any colour you like, as long as it's white on black.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-01-08 at 7.27.18 PM.png (78.0 KB, 60 views)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
you can have any colour you like, as long as it's white on black.
Wow, that's quite the selection you've given us.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Wow, that's quite the selection you've given us.
Whaddya want for nothin'? Rubber Biscuit?!

mike
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Mine:

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Mine:

Cool CWA. That reminds me of my Commodore 128 in a terminal when I had it plugged into a Green Screen monitor. I got sick of Amber monitors and got one with Green text. Display looked like your terminal! Brings back many memories!

And Van, I know you would love this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Funny that, so far, all but Dennis' has been transparent

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
And Van, I know you would love this thread.
Of course! You know me and my love of the CLI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Funny that, so far, all but Dennis' has been transparent
Indeed. Transparency sure does seem to be a popular change (if you want to count a sample of 4 as significant).

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Of course! You know me and my love of the CLI.

Indeed. Transparency sure does seem to be a popular change (if you want to count a sample of 4 as significant).
Hence the 'so far'. I will say that in the Linux crowd I know, it's common as well (I do the same color combination/transparency on my linux laptop as well)

mike
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Here we go. Forgot about the transparency setting.
Attached Images
File Type: png terminal2.png (1.51 MB, 55 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg term.jpg (293.7 KB, 50 views)

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I like the homebrew scheme. How about something more interesting - here is my code to setup my bash prompt (put in ~/.profile)
Code:
export PS1='\e[0;31m\w\e[m\n\T (\! \j) > '
everything up to the \n is for directory -> the \n is for newline. \T is for time \! is for job number and \j is for running jobs.
More info here
How to: Change / Setup bash custom prompt (PS1)

Also because blue doesn't show up well on a black/transparent background I changed my lscolors for directory (note this code snippet is all comment except for the last line (the export line) - which is the actual setup for lscolors) I just keep it all in the ~/.profile so that I have a reference for it.

Code:
#ansi colors for ls
# a     black
# b     red
# c     green
# d     brown
# e     blue
# f     magenta
# g     cyan
# h     light grey
# A     bold black, usually shows up as dark grey
# B     bold red
# C     bold green
# D     bold brown, usually shows up as yellow
# E     bold blue
# F     bold magenta
# G     bold cyan
# H     bold light grey; looks like bright white
# x     default foreground or background
#order of LSCOLORS
# 1.   directory
# 2.   symbolic link
# 3.   socket
# 4.   pipe
# 5.   executable
# 6.   block special
# 7.   character special
# 8.   executable with setuid bit set
# 9.   executable with setgid bit set
# 10.  directory writable to others, with sticky bit
# 11.  directory writable to others, without sticky bit
#                        1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1011
export LSCOLORS='Hxfxcxdxbxegedabagacad'
To use colors -
Code:
ls -G
You can put that as an alias in your .profile
Code:
alias ls='ls -G'
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.01.55 AM.png (153.7 KB, 47 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

That ls colour "legend" is fantastic - that's a keeper for sure! I'm going to have some fun with that later.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Here we go...start a thread like this...and I can just see the..."I messed up my Mac using Terminal!"...questions!

- Nick

p.s. Pretty cool/interesting thread otherwise!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Erlang Help | Word for Mac: Highlighted Text Disappearing »