Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly out there.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly out there.
    openSUSE is another good one (my personal favourite) and Fedora's not bad either. This is where virtual machines are great - you can try them all without any consequences.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    openSUSE is another good one (my personal favourite) and Fedora's not bad either. This is where virtual machines are great - you can try them all without any consequences.
    As odd as it sounds, I use all three of those on a daily basis.. personally, my work laptops RHEL.. and it's what I tend to prefer. Go figure.
    mike

Specs:
    I tried to use RH back before the RHEL days (RH9 was my first distribution) and just couldn't get into it. Gave it another go with Fedora Core 3/4 through 6 and still found myself wondering why I would use it permanently. There's just something about it that irks me and I can't put my finger on it. I think it might have something to do with the allure of YaST which, despite claims that it's bloated, I love.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I tried to use RH back before the RHEL days (RH9 was my first distribution) and just couldn't get into it. Gave it another go with Fedora Core 3/4 through 6 and still found myself wondering why I would use it permanently. There's just something about it that irks me and I can't put my finger on it. I think it might have something to do with the allure of YaST which, despite claims that it's bloated, I love.
    Yea, but I made my living running RH boxes for a while.. eventually you get used to something (hey, I even really liked solaris )
    mike

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    hey, I even really liked solaris
    Well, now I have to question your sanity.

I tried Solaris a while back and had to have a drink after trying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an operating system so slow. Now, mind you, I was running it in a VM but not only was is slow relative to other VMs I run but it was slow in VirtualBox! Ugh, the thought of trying to use it again makes me cringe. It tarnishes the Unix name. Haha.

So, I just found this - a tip to adding smiley faces to the bash prompt. I don't know how to feel about that.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Well, now I have to question your sanity.

I tried Solaris a while back and had to have a drink after trying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an operating system so slow. Now, mind you, I was running it in a VM but not only was is slow relative to other VMs I run but it was slow in VirtualBox! Ugh, the thought of trying to use it again makes me cringe. It tarnishes the Unix name. Haha.

So, I just found this - a tip to adding smiley faces to the bash prompt. I don't know how to feel about that.
    Solaris runs great on a sparc processor.. anything else, not so much.. oh did I mention I had a Ultra20 as a workstation then (and a tadpole for a laptop)

reading the link...
    mike

Specs:
    Oh yes, I've heard that Solaris runs like a dream on Sparc machines. I should have tested that - I got an old Sun box from someone once for $20 but never ended up using it (it weighed more than a car). I was going to run Linux on it but never got the chance since I didn't have a keyboard to start the install process.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Oh my...
    mike

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Oh yes, I've heard that Solaris runs like a dream on Sparc machines. I should have tested that - I got an old Sun box from someone once for $20 but never ended up using it (it weighed more than a car). I was going to run Linux on it but never got the chance since I didn't have a keyboard to start the install process.
    That place I go in the Silicon Valley I have mentioned before called WierdStuff Warehouse has monitors, Keyboards and everything for the Sparc. I also almost bought one of the little Sun workstations but having to get all that stuff to make it work threw me off. Might check next time I go into the Bay Area.

Thread Information