New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

trying to install logic pro 9 but only have 32mb video card instaead of 64md

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

count duckula

count duckula is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new to using macs, I'm only using an old 2003/4 G5. I'm trying to install a program called logic pro 9, it starts to install but then says it is recommended to 64mg graphics card in stead of a 32mb card that I have. It says that it is recommended implying that I don't have to use a 64mb but theres only a option to 'close' which just quits the whole install. Is there any way to some how bypass this recommendation pop up telling to swap the 32mb for the 64mb?

I have no problem ripping the card out, or buying a 64mb card(if I can find such an old thing somewhere) its just that I want to install the program now!

plus are the slots in a mac PCI slots? the card in side is a radeon 7000 mac32m, it looks very much like an old PCI video card, but the slots inside the mac are longer than the usual pci/PCIe slots in a PC. The PCI card fits and works in these 'longer slots'(sorry I don't know what they are called, like I said I'm new...) considering this looks like just a PCI card, will any PCI graphics card work, or do I indeed need specific 'mac card'?

many thanks,
nate.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

THe card slot is an AGP slot, faster than PCI and specifically for graphics cards

The card is a bit odd, even the first g5s had 64 MB cards in them

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by count duckula View Post
Hi, I'm new to using macs, I'm only using an old 2003/4 G5. I'm trying to install a program called logic pro 9, it starts to install but then says it is recommended to 64mg graphics card in stead of a 32mb card that I have.
I think that you'll find that the BIGGER problem is your Powermac G5 cannot run Logic Pro 9. To run Logic Pro 9...you need a Mac with an Intel cpu...running at least OS 10.6.8. Here is a link to Logic Pro 9 info...click on "tech specs" for the system requirements:

Apple - Logic Pro 9 - Everything you need to make great music.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged...not necessary to crosspost. Thanks.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
count duckula

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Threads merged...not necessary to crosspost. Thanks.

sorry
QUOTE Thanks
count duckula

...so putting aside the fact that I might need an intel chip. would there be any possible way yo bypass the recommendation pop up and just carry on to installing logic, just to see how it works out?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

From what I understand logic Pro 9 is a universal app, 9.1 is Intel only

Here is a link to a AGP video card

Apple Mac G4 G5 ATI Radeon 7000 64MB AGP Video Card DVI | eBay

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
...so putting aside the fact that I might need an intel chip.
This is kind of like a human being trying to breath underwater without SCUBA gear...NEEDING an Intel chip is not something you can put "aside"!

As "louishen" mentioned...let us know EXACTLY what version Logic Pro 9 you have...since it may make a difference what the system requirements are.

BTW...where did you get Logic Pro 9 from...since verifying computer & OS requirements before would have been a good idea!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
count duckula

Quote:
This is kind of like a human being trying to breath underwater without SCUBA gear...NEEDING an Intel chip is not something you can put "aside"!

As "louishen" mentioned...let us know EXACTLY what version Logic Pro 9 you have...since it may make a difference what the system requirements are.

BTW...where did you get Logic Pro 9 from...since verifying computer & OS requirements before would have been a good idea!

- Nick
It is 9.0 and it was cheap from my college, they had lots left over, they were multi license or something. The G5 I am using has a dual 2.3 Ghz cpu, 2gb of ram and OS is 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
It is 9.0 and it was cheap from my college, they had lots left over, they were multi license or something. The G5 I am using has a dual 2.3 Ghz cpu, 2gb of ram and OS is 10.6.8
How did you manage to install OS X 10.6.8 in a G5 machine?

Snow Leopard is intel only.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
count duckula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
How did you manage to install OS X 10.6.8 in a G5 machine?

Snow Leopard is intel only.
I clicked update software and it updated... It says 10.6.8 installed
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I clicked update software and it updated... It says 10.6.8 installed
If you have OS 10.6.8 installed on your Mac...then it is NOT a G5 based computer!

If it is a G5 based computer...then there is NO WAY you have 10.6.8 installed on it. 10.5.8 (Leopard) yes...but not 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
count duckula

Quote:
If you have OS 10.6.8 installed on your Mac...then it is NOT a G5 based computer!

If it is a G5 based computer...then there is NO WAY you have 10.6.8 installed on it. 10.5.8 (Leopard) yes...but not 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

- Nick
hmm, maybe is it 10.5.8, I'll check, I have seen many people (teachers, friends) using logic 9 on 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
hmm, maybe is it 10.5.8, I'll check, I have seen many people (teachers, friends) using logic 9 on 10.5.8
The problem isn't the 10.5.8 vs 10.6.8. Leopard incorporates code to support PPC proccessors as well as Intel. Snow Leopard does not. And, from what I have read neither does Logic Pro 9. It requires an Intel processor to run. And BTW you can't update from 10.5 to 10.6 through software update. If your machine did not come with 10.6 installed you have to purchase the upgrade disks and install the OS.
I started with Tiger (10.4) on my MBP and subsequently upgraded to Leopard, Snow Leopard and finally Lion. Each upgrade was a seperate purchase and install (except Leopard which was free though it had to be installed from disk--because I got my MBP within 30 days of Leopard release).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
This would probably be a great idea...so we can understand exactly what hardware & OS version we are dealing with.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes movie playing? | mac os X question »