New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

i am finding it impossible to get a mp3 file onto iphone as a ringtone ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timmy_toad

timmy_toad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad2 + iPhone4S

hi all, i have a classic (aren't they all) short mp3 file on my macbookpro that i just gotta have as a ringtone on my iPhone4S I can't do it !

I have tried a few free apps which were failures, i have been told i can use Garage Band but i discover i aint got it !!!

I wouldn't mind paying for an APP if i knew it would definitely work !!!

anybody with a sensible suggestion please ?.

tim
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I used this method every time I want to create my own ringtones... Works a treat!

Make Your Own Free Ringtones in iTunes 10 in Nine Easy Steps [How To] | Cult of Mac

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You will have Garageband on the Application/iLife disc that came with your Mac.

However. You can just use iTunes:
1. Open iTunes (drag the track into iTunes to add it to the library if it's not already in there)
2. Right-click the track and select Get Info.
3. On the Options tab tick the Start Time and Stop Time boxes, then enter times for each (no more than 30 seconds apart, the maximum length for a ringtone). If you want to use the whole file, providing it's under 30 seconds you can leave the default values.
4. Click OK, then right-click the song again and select Create AAC Version. You should immediately see a new duplicate of the track.
5. Drag that version out of iTunes and onto the desktop.
6. Change the file extension of the file on your desktop from .m4a to .m4r.
7. Drag the file back into iTunes
8. Have a look in the ringtones part of the library and you'll see it there.
9. You can now sync it to the iphone

edit: chuckoir beat me to it !

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

timmy_toad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad2 + iPhone4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
I used this method every time I want to create my own ringtones... Works a treat!

Make Your Own Free Ringtones in iTunes 10 in Nine Easy Steps [How To] | Cult of Mac
Marvelous buddy, thanks, i shall bookmark that straightaway.

I think some of my trouble has been a significant delay of Adding a File to my iTunes Library and it actually getting there, LOL.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Outlook 2011: closest mail option to Windows version but why is so much 'missing'? | iWork...doesn't work »