New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office->Moved Home folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

microsnook

microsnook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" 10.8 (latest)

Moved my home folder and now Microsoft office doesn't want to install

Not sure if its an issue with me moving my home folder or not...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I don't off hand remember if Office 2011 gives a choice of custom installation or not. Most programs will default to the "MacIntosh HD" and your home folder. If the home folder is not where the program expects it to be, it may not install properly.

Check the install routine closely and see if it offers a custom installation or allows you to install it to other than the user home folder.
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

Someone else told me to not move my Hold folder.

Ive looked around and have seen a few people writing about it though. It almost seems necessary for me since I have an SSD.

What else would you recommend?
Thats the drive I want to store my data on.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, the real question is.. how did you move it?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

"Go"-> my MacBook -> SSD -> users-> my name
I took the folder under /users which has all of my data an then COPIED it to my second internal drive (data drive)

Then went into settings and clicked my account and unlocked it and right clicked and clicked advanced and pointed the destination of my "home" folder to the copied folder on my data drive.

Made sure everything was set up correctly. Created a new document and checked where it was saved.

Backed up the home folder to external drive and removed the original off of the SSD.

Correct?
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

Let me say that office was NOT installed.
I had it installed a while back and uninstalled it for some reason and now I want it reinstalled.

I uninstalled it and made sure all it's contents were removed also. Using app remover
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsnook View Post
"Go"-> my MacBook -> SSD -> users-> my name
I took the folder under /users which has all of my data an then COPIED it to my second internal drive (data drive)

Then went into settings and clicked my account and unlocked it and right clicked and clicked advanced and pointed the destination of my "home" folder to the copied folder on my data drive.

Made sure everything was set up correctly. Created a new document and checked where it was saved.

Backed up the home folder to external drive and removed the original off of the SSD.

Correct?

This is, as far as I am aware, the correct way to move a home directory in OS X. What's the error you're getting when you try to install Office, and what version of Office (assuming 11 and Lion, correct?) ?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

Let me try reinstalling so I can have a look at the error

Thanks for helping
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

Wont let me choose an install disk.

Here are some screen shots and maybe I can force install from Terminal or something?

Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 10.55.53 AM by microsnook3, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 10.54.38 AM by microsnook3, on Flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

That's an update install? If you uninstalled it, the update won't find the original to install. Did you upgrade from Office 2008? If so, I'm not sure how to get around that with Lion.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You might be able to force it on the new volume:
Code:
installer -pkg <pkg name> -target <volume>
I don't know if that will work any better than the GUI version though.

The problem here seems to be that Office installs files to both the root and user directory which are now on two separate volumes. This is why I'm not sure the command I provided here will work since you can only specify one volume and the update will need to install files to both. This might be why it's complaining right now since there is no complete installation on any one volume (since, as I noted, it's spread across two).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Yea, I'd have pointed to that but the install states 'Update', and without software to update it'll barf all over itself I would think.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

This was the way I installed it before and it worked without issue.

Im guessing its because like you said, it is spread across two volumes.

...Not sure where to go from here now

Any ideas? Should I try the command that you provided?

Im not good with commands, so if you think I should use it, let me know exactly what to type.

Something like:

installer -pkg <office...> -target </Volume/Macintosh SSD> ?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

Im an idiot.

I was installing the update before the actual file itself.

Its on my SSD now.

Thanks for the help guys
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

This is precisely the sort of thing I do, all the time

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with game | Outlook 2011 Data files »