New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I'd there a website for those of us stuck on 10.5.8 Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GameGuru

GameGuru is on a distinguished road

I am sure there are lots of us still running G4s and G5s so is there a site which lists software compatible with our systems? Something like nice charts listing last version that still runs on a PPC.

Does this exist?

PowerMac 1.25GHz MDD | 1.75GB | 80GB | Radeon 9000 Pro | Pioneer DVR-118L | Apple Studio Display 17" | OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Better off asking what sort of software you are looking for and we can start the list right here

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

I don't really know ha ha, brand new to Mac and just want to play around. I was looking for a DVD burning program and it looks like Toast is the program. From looking at their website it looks like Toast 10 is compatible with a G4 running Leopard as 11 needs and Intel CPU.

I would also like to know all the games that work good on my Radeon 9000 Pro. I really like Command & Conquer and see Generals is on available, will this work on my Mac?

PowerMac 1.25GHz MDD | 1.75GB | 80GB | Radeon 9000 Pro | Pioneer DVR-118L | Apple Studio Display 17" | OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You could also try the open source Burn, sill a universal app (POwerPC and Intel)

Burn - Home

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Wow Burn looks cool and it is free! Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru View Post
I am sure there are lots of us still running G4s and G5s so is there a site which lists software compatible with our systems? Something like nice charts listing last version that still runs on a PPC.

Does this exist?
It depends on your definition of "lots."

There are a lot of people in your situation on forums like this one, because official and developer supported has ended for such machines. But as a percentage of the total Mac userbase, no, PPC systems are not a significant percentage anymore.

The normal "life cycle" of a Mac is around five years. The very last PPC Macs were produced five years ago. So anyone using a PPC is either someone like you, picking up someone's hand-me-down, or someone who's needs don't mandate moving to a newer machine and/or the thing just won't quit!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I agree with the comment about just asking when you need something specific.
While many don't use PPC now, we do have good memories for the most part, even the most senior members

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

Does this exist?
I've always handled it the other way around. If there's an application that I'm interested in, I look up the system requirements, and if a Mac computer I'm suing meets the spec's...then I know that I can run it.

Maybe this will help,

List of Applications Not Compatible with Leopard - Mac Guides
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: Software Incompatibilities

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Ok I guess the question I should be asking since I am brand new to the Mac world is ... "What software should I get to really enjoy my time with the Mac?"

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok I guess the question I should be asking since I am brand new to the Mac world is ... "What software should I get to really enjoy my time with the Mac?"
Still too broad of a question. We have no idea what sort of computing projects you have...or what you are into. Computers are used for many things:

- shopping
- work/professional related projects
- personal projects
- entertainment (music, games, photos, videos, etc.)
- socializing (internet forums, social webpages, internet chat & video)
- etc.

I'll throw a question back at you. If you were talking about a Windows computer (negating your "newness" to Macintosh computers)...What software would you need to make your experience with a Windows computer more enjoyable?

Then try to find something equally as good that runs on a Macintosh.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
GameGuru

Ok, I like some gaming (RPGs and RTS games). I like to edit photos and video. Watch movies. Possibly have my music collection on it.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok, I like some gaming (RPGs and RTS games). I like to edit photos and video. Watch movies. Possibly have my music collection on it.
With OS 10.5.8 you don't really need any "special" software for listening to music or watching videos. Editing photos...an older version of iLife would help with that...or an older version of Photoshop.

As far as games...are there any particular titles you're interested in? If so...look up the system requirements. If your computer & OS meet the requirements you're "good to go"!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I agree with the others, still a little broad... I would look for comparitive progs or even just broadly search either with google or these forums and go from there.

As for RTS Games.. Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations (I haven't tried the Win versions on a mac by way of parallels) but the mac version work well. I have been looking at some other older RTS games (10.6.8 as I don't want to switch to Lion and I don't think I can with my mini) that I would need to use with Parallels lately too.

I haven't tried a lot of games (other than the ones I had on my Win machine) but there are a few freeware mac games that you can try (ie Marathon). Take a look here http://www.thriftmac.com/our-top-10-mac-freeware-games or do a google search.

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

By the way, I re-read the title of this thread and my first thought was "yeah, there is ... store.apple.com!"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Database Software for Mac | Help With Maximizing The Remote Deskop Window »