New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word says "no disk space" when there's plenty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bishopconsultin

bishopconsultin is on a distinguished road

I'm using MS Word for Mac and it cannot do AutoRecover, saying there's no disk space when my hard drive has 140 GB free. I cant save the file when it gets in this mode. Seems to be triggered by my doing cut/paste -- once when I closed word it said I had a lot of material on Clipboard / did I want to keep it. but even if I cut/paste with a small amount on clipboard this happens. Have to quit Word and restart to clear this. Any help appreciated. Using a Macbook Pro with Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to the proper forum. Does not belong in "Running Windows......."

Which version of Word for the Mac are you running? And have you gone into Word preferences and designated a folder location for Auto Recovery files?

I use the "Documents" folder for Auto Recovery and backup which makes those files easy to find if needed.
QUOTE Thanks
bishopconsultin

Thanks -- yes I have AutoRecover go to Documents as well. My version of Word 2011 is 14.1.4 which I believe is the latest.

I talked to AppleCare and they couldnt help me directly with Word but we looked at my system memory which was up way high at 3.99 GB. Rebooted and it went down. Opened Word and it was still down. Later it was back near 3.99. Seems i have a strange memory thing going on.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There's a difference between disk space and memory. You say you have 140 GB remaining which should be more than enough. However, if you're running low on system memory it may be caused by some other application or process running in the background. Open your Activity Monitor application to see what's going on.
QUOTE Thanks
bishopconsultin

Yes I understand the difference between disk space and memory. After talking to Applecare the issue clearly is memory. This seems not to be about Word. Something is taking my memory usage up to 3.99 or so GB, the limit almost. I have rebooted and its at about 1.6 which AppleCare said is fine. I load Word, no change. Load Powerpoint, no signif change. Once it seems that Chrome was the culprit but couldnt repeat this. Am also using CardScan. Something is grabbing memory. Have been using Activity Monitor but havent been able to isolate a cause yet. Any further thoughts welcome.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! iPhoto update created 45,000 new files -- which to save? Dropbox wants to back | iCal question »