New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Notepad for mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

Does Mac OS have a quick notepad program?

I see something called text edit but does not sound like a note pad program to me?

I have Mac office 2011 but would like a quick notepad for various numbers and passwords i need to store.

Thanks for your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Text Edit is fairly similar to notepad. It works fine for writing down the quick thing.

Mac 101: TextEdit
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

There are quite a few little quick note apps out there - but for what you're doing - you should give 1Password a try. Perfect for all the numbers and passwords you want to keep handy but not have accessible to everyone. It's a great application.
QUOTE Thanks
ylshin

ylshin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3

Try Notational Velocity if you just want to jot things down - nothing sensitive.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
There are quite a few little quick note apps out there - but for what you're doing - you should give 1Password a try. Perfect for all the numbers and passwords you want to keep handy but not have accessible to everyone. It's a great application.
+100 for this App. It has to be my Fav atm and does so much more than just Passwords and can be synced to ALL IOS devices. But for a little sum of money

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

There is Notepad but it is accessible through the Mail app. It mirrors the notepad you see on iOS devices and can even be synced with them as well.

Mail>File>New Note. Or control+command+N. Or the New Note icon at the top of the Mail window if you have that icon visible.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Text edit has been doing the trick but will look into these other apps as well.
I have all my passwords hand written on a notebook that I have been using for over 10 years -lol!

That might be so 70ish but that is just me stubborn to trust technology.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Mail>File>New Note. Or control+command+N. Or the New Note icon at the top of the Mail window if you have that icon visible.
And it synchs to all of my devices via iCloud? How have I never used this before?
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Stormin you always learn something new here.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Storing all your passwords in an unencrypted/password protected document is dangerous. I would highly recommend looking into some application that stores information securely. At a minimum, it wouldn't hurt to store this document in an encrypted disk image.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Storing all your passwords in an unencrypted/password protected document is dangerous. I would highly recommend looking into some application that stores information securely. At a minimum, it wouldn't hurt to store this document in an encrypted disk image.
True, but it's really awfully common. Believe it or not, IME the higher the security environment, the more common it is (generally because of stupid things like multiple uname/passwd's that all have disparate requirements, rather than a common access system).

That said, you could always use some sort of application like PGP to encrypt the individual file as an alternative to an encrypted disk image. This would only be an issue should you need to read this cross-platform *I think PGP will do this*

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

I use an app called Quick Note. it even looks like a note pad :p
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
True, but it's really awfully common. Believe it or not, IME the higher the security environment, the more common it is (generally because of stupid things like multiple uname/passwd's that all have disparate requirements, rather than a common access system).
I have no problem believing you as much as I'd love not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
That said, you could always use some sort of application like PGP to encrypt the individual file as an alternative to an encrypted disk image. This would only be an issue should you need to read this cross-platform *I think PGP will do this*
That could work and the *nix nerd in me likes that solution but I'm going to guess that this solution is too complex for something as simple as this.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Notational Velocity on iMac is very slick. I keep it open on every Lion desktop. It syncs rapidly and efficiently over wireless with Simplenote on iPad and iPhone. Extremely handy. Not secure, but great for multitude of useful low risk notes.

1Password works for encrypted secure notes.

There are also hypersecure solutions.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I did the paper password thing for years. No more.

1Password is to me the essential APP. My life, like probably most of our lives, is loaded down with WAY too many passwords. What I would find is I would have a password and username combination on paper but forget what site it went to. Which meant I had to record everything, which also means NO security.

1Password is cheap, secure and works very well. Can't reccommend it enough.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issues with Apple Notes | Powerpoint 2011 drama »