Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
    Notepad for mac?
    Does Mac OS have a quick notepad program?

I see something called text edit but does not sound like a note pad program to me?

I have Mac office 2011 but would like a quick notepad for various numbers and passwords i need to store.

Thanks for your help guys!

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Text Edit is fairly similar to notepad. It works fine for writing down the quick thing.

Mac 101: TextEdit

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    There are quite a few little quick note apps out there - but for what you're doing - you should give 1Password a try. Perfect for all the numbers and passwords you want to keep handy but not have accessible to everyone. It's a great application.

Specs:
    iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
    Try Notational Velocity if you just want to jot things down - nothing sensitive.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    There are quite a few little quick note apps out there - but for what you're doing - you should give 1Password a try. Perfect for all the numbers and passwords you want to keep handy but not have accessible to everyone. It's a great application.
    +100 for this App. It has to be my Fav atm and does so much more than just Passwords and can be synced to ALL IOS devices. But for a little sum of money
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    There is Notepad but it is accessible through the Mail app. It mirrors the notepad you see on iOS devices and can even be synced with them as well.

Mail>File>New Note. Or control+command+N. Or the New Note icon at the top of the Mail window if you have that icon visible.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Text edit has been doing the trick but will look into these other apps as well.
    I have all my passwords hand written on a notebook that I have been using for over 10 years -lol!

That might be so 70ish but that is just me stubborn to trust technology.

Specs:
    2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Mail>File>New Note. Or control+command+N. Or the New Note icon at the top of the Mail window if you have that icon visible.
    And it synchs to all of my devices via iCloud? How have I never used this before?

Specs:
    Stormin you always learn something new here.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Storing all your passwords in an unencrypted/password protected document is dangerous. I would highly recommend looking into some application that stores information securely. At a minimum, it wouldn't hurt to store this document in an encrypted disk image.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Storing all your passwords in an unencrypted/password protected document is dangerous. I would highly recommend looking into some application that stores information securely. At a minimum, it wouldn't hurt to store this document in an encrypted disk image.
    True, but it's really awfully common. Believe it or not, IME the higher the security environment, the more common it is (generally because of stupid things like multiple uname/passwd's that all have disparate requirements, rather than a common access system).

That said, you could always use some sort of application like PGP to encrypt the individual file as an alternative to an encrypted disk image. This would only be an issue should you need to read this cross-platform *I think PGP will do this*
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

I use an app called Quick Note. it even looks like a note pad :p

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    True, but it's really awfully common. Believe it or not, IME the higher the security environment, the more common it is (generally because of stupid things like multiple uname/passwd's that all have disparate requirements, rather than a common access system).
    I have no problem believing you as much as I'd love not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    That said, you could always use some sort of application like PGP to encrypt the individual file as an alternative to an encrypted disk image. This would only be an issue should you need to read this cross-platform *I think PGP will do this*
    That could work and the *nix nerd in me likes that solution but I'm going to guess that this solution is too complex for something as simple as this.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Notational Velocity on iMac is very slick. I keep it open on every Lion desktop. It syncs rapidly and efficiently over wireless with Simplenote on iPad and iPhone. Extremely handy. Not secure, but great for multitude of useful low risk notes.

1Password works for encrypted secure notes.

There are also hypersecure solutions.
    Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone, rejuvenated a discarded MacBook and, finally, Apple Watch. Happy camper.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Not to throw yet another option in, but I use XPad every day for scratch writing (I'm a writer by profession, at least currently). It's free and very un-cluttery.

The 1Password suggestion for secure notes is a good idea, but TopXNotes is a cheaper option (for notes) and a very highly-rated program. Has a companion iOS app available too.

Thread Information