New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office for Mac 2011 go slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yookay

yookay is on a distinguished road

Since installing Office for Mac 2011 (Home & Business edition with Outlook) 4 weeks ago everything on my MAC Book Pro/OS X Lion has slowed to a totally unacceptable speed. The annoying little coloured circular icon rotates for minutes at a time when trying to open Word, Outlook etc. When i'm in Outlook if I select the Calendar option it takes over a minute to open. Typing emails is just as irritating as each letter jerks and pauses as I depress each key. All programs appear to be affected.
My address book also keeps adding empty entries for no reason. The last time over a 1,000 blank entries appeared which I immediately deleted.
Why is this happening? Should I uninstall Office for MAC 2008? Are they clashing or is there another reason?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Y
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Moved to appropriate forum.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Yes uninstall Office 2008 for starters. Unless you have recently updated Office 2008 it will not function on Lion.

And use the uninstaller which came on the CD.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Microsoft states that you don't have to uninstall Office 2008 when installing Office 2011, however, I agree with Harry. I have tried it both ways and there is no doubt to me that Office 2011 behaves much better when all remnants of Office 2008 (except documents and user templates) have been removed first.
QUOTE Thanks
MSMacMan

MSMacMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I support Outlook 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Microsoft states that you don't have to uninstall Office 2008 when installing Office 2011, however, I agree with Harry. I have tried it both ways and there is no doubt to me that Office 2011 behaves much better when all remnants of Office 2008 (except documents and user templates) have been removed first.
Hey Everyone,

I have all versions of OSX installed, and all versions of Office 2011/2008. I don't run into any issues when testing with these.

Nonetheless, Office 2011 utilizes OS functions for a lot of its processes, so does Office 2008. For a slower system, it may complicate things.

Do you have AV installed on the Mac? AV can cause corruption in the user files. To reduce this, stop scanning the Microsoft User Data Folder.

Shane Toutges
Microsoft Business Enterprise Support
Office for Mac 2011
QUOTE Thanks
wsjenkins

wsjenkins is on a distinguished road

Another thing to look out for with Outlook for Mac 2011 is having all the fonts that Microsoft needs for Office. If all the fonts that are needed aren't installed the applications can slow down. Are you using font management program? If so, you may need to create a set for when you use Office applications.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That shouldn't matter as Office 2008 and Office 2011 will install a sub folder to the system fonts folder with all the fonts that Office needs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Editing problem with cursor placement in Word for Mac 2011: | Mail Issues »