New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Java interface for Tiger OS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there was a java interface for Tiger because I tried Eclipse and it need Leopard to run. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

OS X includes Java (except for Lion which requires you to install it manually). However, the Eclipse system requirements state that you need the version that comes with Leopard (Java 5?). What version of Java are you running?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
OS X includes Java (except for Lion which requires you to install it manually). However, the Eclipse system requirements state that you need the version that comes with Leopard (Java 5?). What version of Java are you running?
Honestly I'm not sure, it is whatever came originally on OSX 10.4.11 so maybe Java 4???
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it was the default - Java 1.4 was released more than three years previous to that. I'm guessing that Java 5, released seven months before Tiger, is the default. What do you get when you execute the following from the command line:
Code:
java -version
I just checked - Java 5 is indeed available for Tiger. Make sure Java is up to date through Software Update.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I doubt it was the default - Java 1.4 was released more than three years previous to that. I'm guessing that Java 5, released seven months before Tiger, is the default. What do you get when you execute the following from the command line:
Code:
java -version
I just checked - Java 5 is indeed available for Tiger. Make sure Java is up to date through Software Update.
It tells me that I am running java 1.5 . And it still tells me I need leopard. Is there an older version of Eclipse or another inerface that will be compatible with Tiger?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You could try some of the older ones.

Older Versions Of Eclipse - Eclipsepedia

The 3.5.2 versions would probably work. If not, go further back.

Really, though, an upgrade to Snow Leopard would be well worth the $30.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
You could try some of the older ones.

Older Versions Of Eclipse - Eclipsepedia

The 3.5.2 versions would probably work. If not, go further back.

Snow can't run on that system, and I was able to find an older version of eclipse. Thanks for all the help everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Agreed unless you're using a PowerPC Mac. If you are using a PPC Mac, you can only upgrade to Leopard.

19birel, have you tried running 3.7? The Eclipse JRE requirements page states that it, "will work fine on other current Java VMs running on window systems supported by SWT." I imagine that SWT worked on Tiger at some point so it might be worth starting at 3.7 and working your way backwards.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good Photo Organizer? | Footnote Problem - Word 2011 »