New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help with Outlook 2011 for Mac - "on my computer" emails missing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MSMacMan

MSMacMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I support Outlook 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
My main response to your resolution is:

You are telling us to export everything to OLM. But there is nothing to export? If my entire Identity is completely wiped out, then wouldn't I just be exporting a blank file basically?

I don't see how exporting what I couldn't have, then going through the other steps, is going to show me the result I want.

It seems that when I was rebuilding a few days ago.. it kept rebuilding the same identity but it never completed it, because every Identity is the same "sub folders and folders are there" but no mail, no organization, nothing.

Let me know, if the export thing is really just a step to help get your mail back.

Also, I know the mail is all on my computer because I search on my Apple Search Bar and anything I type finds a data file of that message. If I try to click it - it will try to open in Outlook but it says the message file is not associated with my default identity? It is the same identity as before just not loaded with my mail. I possible may have erased the entire original identity but kept a few rebuilds. IS THERE ANY WAY TO OPEN UP THOSE MESSAGE FILES?\

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Great, so where are they on your computer?

Go to documents - microsoft user data - Outlook 2011 identities. What folders are here? Open them and check the database file. How large are they? If one is big, but when you open it in OL has no mail, it means the items are corrupt and invisible. I have seen it before.

I will further explain how OL2011 works. When You connect to your mail sever, OL2011 will create a cache of all the mail located on your server. So if you are missing all your mail on your computer, you may still be able to get the cache again from your server, by simply setting up a new identity and syncing the account.

That is unless you moved the items off your sever, and onto to On My Computer section of the folder structure in OL. If you did this then you stored them locally only.

Please respond with your findings.

Shane Toutges
Microsoft Business Enterprise Support
Office for Mac 2011
QUOTE Thanks
MSMacMan

MSMacMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I support Outlook 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
My main response to your resolution is:

You are telling us to export everything to OLM. But there is nothing to export? If my entire Identity is completely wiped out, then wouldn't I just be exporting a blank file basically?

I don't see how exporting what I couldn't have, then going through the other steps, is going to show me the result I want.

It seems that when I was rebuilding a few days ago.. it kept rebuilding the same identity but it never completed it, because every Identity is the same "sub folders and folders are there" but no mail, no organization, nothing.

Let me know, if the export thing is really just a step to help get your mail back.

Also, I know the mail is all on my computer because I search on my Apple Search Bar and anything I type finds a data file of that message. If I try to click it - it will try to open in Outlook but it says the message file is not associated with my default identity? It is the same identity as before just not loaded with my mail. I possible may have erased the entire original identity but kept a few rebuilds. IS THERE ANY WAY TO OPEN UP THOSE MESSAGE FILES?\

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Also,

If you examine my steps it takes care of a few things.
1. Corruption
2. Valid Backup
3. Downloads Email from Mail Server
4. Attempts to recover Locally Store Mail

If you would have followed those steps, we would have gotten somewhere. The previous steps that I suggested to you cover a wide variety of troubleshooting techniques.

Shane Toutges
Microsoft Business Enterprise Support
Office for Mac 2011
QUOTE Thanks
catcol

catcol is on a distinguished road

Have had to reinstall Office and set up a new account. Can see all my emails in finder but can't access them. Time machine has backed up everything, but I cannot find/configure undamaged database.
These emails are vital. This is the third crash I have had with Outlook for Mac. I cannot afford this as I need a stable reliable email system.
Help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
catcol

catcol is on a distinguished road

Shane - how do I connect/contact/see/in anyway view the server and what (of my data) is on it?
Syncing option seems only to refer to Apple mail.
Right now the (new) account is working but all my old mail (viewable in finder), cannot be accessed.
Creating identities seems to lead to a black hole as it keeps 'repairing' and then giving a message that the data cannot be viewed or imported as the database is damaged.
Cathal
QUOTE Thanks
RanchrFL

RanchrFL is on a distinguished road

Look in your spotlight search and see if the email is someplace other than the current Main Identity, like on a separate drive a backup whatever. Go find any Main Identities not in you documents folder. Change the name a bit and drag it to your MS User file. Open the MS Database Utility (open Outlook while holding the option key) change the default ID to the one you dragged over rebuild it just for good measure and export it to your desktop. Go back to the Database utility and change back to your main ID and import the olm file and it will all work again.
QUOTE Thanks
frankiepresley

frankiepresley is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Similar issues to those already posted - Friday all working perfectly, the following Monday morning, open outlook and nothing in there, none of my 3 email accounts, 4000 emails etc, it's like new, fresh out of the box.
Having read the posts on here to try and retrieve my data, (I have yet to do anything as wanted to fully understand before I proceed) I searched in spotlight to find the emails, did the search, found the emails, but they started disappearing right in front of me. When I did another spotlight search and quickly clicked on one of the mails before it went, it opened up in Outlook 'as normal'.
I thought posting this was appropriate as I haven't yet read that this has happened to anyone else?
Your ideas most welcome.
Thanks

Outlook 14.0.0
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uploading photos from iPhoto | Mail says incoming messages, but nothing is recieved? »