New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

HP LaserJet 1000 and OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

Is this printer just not compatible with OS X?
I am a recent switcher (last 6 months or so) and I just got my GF to switch, but now I can't get her printer to work with her new ibook.

All I can find from google are these links:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...-LaserJet_1000

http://foo2oak.rkkda.com/INSTALL

All sites seem to press towards compiling things and uploading firmware to the printer itself EVERYTIME you power it back up.

There has got to be a better way no?

Any help would be great,

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

*bump*
I still haven't sorted this out for my GF and I'm feelin like a bit of a tool... anyone have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
keithnyc

This is obviously an old post but I just had the same issue and found the solution. This works beautiful:

http://oem.zeno.com/public/SDK/4_Mac...er/Default.htm
QUOTE Thanks
Hetty

Hetty is on a distinguished road

http://oem.zeno.com/public/SDK/4_Mac...er/Default.htm

HP LaserJet 1000 driver for Mac

I tried this site, but a server can't be found. I had all my hope on this solution.
Can anybody help me?
QUOTE Thanks
pzink

pzink is on a distinguished road

I have recently switch from Windows, so I'm no expert here. But I had the same problem just two hours ago, trying to print to a HP Laserjet 1015 (installed on a networked Windows computer). What I did was to select a Laserjet 6L as the printer, and it's working ok (at least with the pdf viewer in osx). Perhaps I am missing some features but at least I can print.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

This is the list of Mac OS X 10.4: Included printer drivers and PostScript PPD files. As you can see, the HP 1000 is in that list.

From Apple's website:
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.4 installs printer drivers and PostScript Printer Description files (PPDs) for many printers. Some printer files included with Mac OS X 10.4 might not be included with previous Mac OS X versions, and vice-versa. This article contains a list of all printer drivers and PPD files included with Mac OS X 10.4. Please note that some of these drivers were created by open-source projects (refer to the "Install Package" column in the list to find the driver source).

Tip: To ensure that you have the latest drivers for your printer, always check your printer manufacturer's website.

Mac OS X 10.4 includes printer drivers from the following manufacturers (to view the complete list of drivers from all printer manufacturers, please scroll down the window, or use your browser's Find feature to look for a specific name, such as "Olympus" or "Toshiba"...
Why the printer doesn't show up, I have no idea. Did you guys add the printer profile through Mac OS X's Printer Setup Utility?

Edited to add:

Oops! Sorry! My bad. The Business Inkjet 1000 is in that list, not the LaserJet 1000. I can only see the LaserJet 1010.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok, found a How To at MacOSXHints, Install a LaserJet 1000 printer driver.

I think that's what you guys are looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
Hetty

Hetty is on a distinguished road

http://oem.zeno.com/public/?SDK/Default.htm

I am in a kind of loop now. I am so pleased that people try to help me, but the site links to the same adress as in my former question and I don't get there because the SERVER CAN'T BE FOUND. Is that only the matter on my machine??? Desperately needing my lovely printer!!!! Help.... Hetty :bone:
QUOTE Thanks
Nehalemi7

Nehalemi7 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking forever to try and find a way to get my HP LaserJet 1000 printer to work with OS X. After a few days of searching I finally found a way to do it. Having gone through such a long process to get it to work and having a horribly hard time trying to find the files to do it, I decided to compile the instructions and necessary files into a .dmg so that others can use it. Thanks to foomatic, foo2zjs, and GhostScript for their work to make this happen!

The .dmg I created has four files in it 3 .dmgs, foomatic-rip, GhostScript, and the foo2zjs drivers. There is a readme file on how to do it, but I'll copy and paste it here too:

Instructions for installing HP Laserjet 1000 (and many others)

Tested on Mac OS X 10.5.8, with HP Laserjet 1000

1) Mount and install gplgs-8.64so-ub.dmg (GhostScript 8.64)
2) Mount and install foomatic-rip-4.0.2.211.dmg
3) Mount and install foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg
4) Navigate to foo2zjs-1.1.2-ub.dmg, helpers, then copy load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 to Desktop, or other convenient place, as you will have to run it everytime you reboot your computer. This only applys to GDI LaserJets like the LaserJet 1000, so you may not have to do this.*
5) Plug your printer into a USB Port
6) Go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, click the + (plus) sign in on the lower left side, make sure you are on the default tab, click your printer, then under Print Using click select driver to use, then type in your printer name (ex. HP LaserJet 1000) and select the proper driver. (Mine is HP LaserJet 1000 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended))
7) Run the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 script, my printer makes a spooling up sound when it is run.
8) That's it! Print a test page to see if it works!

Credits go to the authors of GhostScript, Foomatic, and foo2zjs for their great work!

*When the script is run it checks for LaserJets 1000, 1005, 1018, and 1020 printers. If you have one of those, you will need to run this script at every reboot.

Downloaded .dmgs from:
foo2zjs: Download foo2zjs 1.1.2 - Open source printer driver for printers that use the Zenographics ZjStream wire protocol for their print data - Softpedia
Foomatic: OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic - The Linux Foundation
GhostScript: OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic - The Linux Foundation

In torrent form (so it won't die...):Mac OS foo2zjs Printer Drivers HP LaserJet 1000 series drivers : Software > Mac - Mininova
QUOTE Thanks
statscards

statscards is on a distinguished road

I have installed all of this, and it is showing up in my printers, but I can't actually get it to print.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
fa2f

fa2f is on a distinguished road

@Nehalemi7: Thanks a bunch! You rock!

I have been searching for this driver for days until I get into this thread and your solution just works perfect.

@statscards: Have you load the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 script each time before printing?
QUOTE Thanks
ohiogator1

ohiogator1 is on a distinguished road

followed the steps in Nehalemi7's post and when I tried to add the printer it lists it as "no driver installed". It does search for the driver, but doesn't find it. I have run the terminal script. Any ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
ufichina

ufichina is on a distinguished road

Nehameli7 - Thank you very much for your post!!! I looked all over the web, trying to be able to use my HP Laserjet 1000 with my brand new Macbook Air, but found no help until I found your post. I searched for up-to-date versions of the software you listed, installed it just as you listed, loaded the driver and printed! Since your post is over 2 years old, thought others might like to know that your method still works.
QUOTE Thanks
roadkiller

roadkiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufichina View Post
Nehameli7 - Thank you very much for your post!!! I looked all over the web, trying to be able to use my HP Laserjet 1000 with my brand new Macbook Air, but found no help until I found your post. I searched for up-to-date versions of the software you listed, installed it just as you listed, loaded the driver and printed! Since your post is over 2 years old, thought others might like to know that your method still works.
I can only confirm ! Unbelievable, but this way works And I was so close to sell my good old HP1000.... thx guys !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sync Outlook Calendar in PC to Outlook in Mac to iPad | Mail ate my mail »