New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Organising compilations in iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raff

Raff is on a distinguished road

Hi

In iTunes i want to sort compilations into one album but keep the individual artist names.

e.g. I have an album with 300 tracks (all different artists) this is what i do..

1. Select them all and click 'get info'

2. Tick the Album Artist box and type Various Artists

3. Tick the Album Box and type name of Album

4. Tick Part of a compilation box and select Yes

When i OK this is sorts them but when it's done they are all still scattered all over iTunes under the individual artist name.

If i type 'Various' in the Artist box i lose all the artist names.

I've searched the net for an answer to this but still can't get it to work and can see others have this problem and i follow the above but it still won't group them in the same album. It's driving me mad. Am i doing something wrong?

Regards
Raff
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If you are sorting by "Artist" in iTunes, then yes, they will normally be scattered to the winds. To get around this, you need to use the "Sort Artist" field. Leave the artist names as they are, but in the "Sort Artist" field, enter the same value for all tracks. You can use "Various" or just enter the name of the compilation. Once done, if you ever sort by "Artist", the "Sort Artist" field will override the real names in the background and use its own value, but you will still see the correct name in iTunes.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Raff

Raff is on a distinguished road

YEEE HAAAA. That did it!!! It's been driving me nuts!

You are a wonderful, wonderful man. May all your wishes come true for you and your kin this Christmas.

Regards
Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do you have to upgrade to itunes 10? | World of Warcraft Crash »