New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problem with Word

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AmyGinger

AmyGinger is on a distinguished road

Hi, all. I'm using OS 10.6.8, and Microsoft Word for Mac (v)2004. Somehow, the formatting palette is now something I click on in the toolbar that then opens as a vertical box instead of being a separate horizontal toolbar like I'm used to seeing in Word 2004. I know there must be a way to get the toolbar back. I seem to recall having to do this once before, but just can't figure it out.
Any suggestions appreciated. Amy
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've moved your post here to this forum as it really does not belong in our "Switcher" forum.

As to your question.... I'm not familiar with Word 2004 having only used Word 2008 and now Word 2011. However, I believe the toolbars act the same way as in 2004. If you click on "View" at the top of the main menus, you should have a selection for "Toolbars". Make sure the Standard and Formatting toolbars are selected. (That is if I'm understanding your question...)

Also it's possible that your toolbar was dragged off the top of the main menu area to the side. If that happened, just drag it back in place. Finally, if you can't get it to work, just move your "normal.dotm" template to the desktop and Word will create another upon opening. The template is located here:

/Users/you/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm
QUOTE Thanks
AmyGinger

I tried to post this earlier, but can't find it and so am trying again. I'm new to the forums, by the way.

I'm using WORD 2004. Am on a new (but used) iMac. OS 10.6.8. My Microsoft Office program was installed on this computer, so this version is what I'm used to using. For some reason, the Formatting Palette (the one with font selection, size, paragraph alignment, etc) is no longer presenting as a horizontal toolbar that fits under the primary toolbar. Instead, it's a vertical box that I can move around. I want to get it back to the toolbar rather than tool"box" and can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I've been googling about it, but to no avail. And that's why I joined Mac Forums this a.m. Any help will be greatly appreciated! -AmyGinger

P.S. And by the way, what is a "trackback"? And will I be notified of any replies to the above question or will I just need to keep checking the forums?
QUOTE Thanks
AmyGinger

Thank you for the information. I will see how that all plays out. Other question: how would I have known where to post this type of question? Games and Apps seems strange to me. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
AmyGinger

Hooray! The VIEW button showed me that the formatting toolbar was unclicked. The simplest things can be the most baffling sometimes. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK. Glad to have helped.

Your question was about MS Word which is an OS X application and that fits in with our "OS X Apps and Games" forum. It's sometimes confusing for our new members to find the right forum but if you read the forum description first, it will usually become apparent where your question belongs.

Anyway, have fun and visit us often.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I've merged your duplicate thread back into this one. Looks like your problem has been solved.
QUOTE Thanks
AmyGinger

It's been delightful to have really nice folks to reply to my issues. I admire that. Be well and prosper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OK. Glad to have helped.

Your question was about MS Word which is an OS X application and that fits in with our "OS X Apps and Games" forum. It's sometimes confusing for our new members to find the right forum but if you read the forum description first, it will usually become apparent where your question belongs.

Anyway, have fun and visit us often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Office,Rosetta, and installation woes | Lion Designer : App to change the boring backgrounds in Lion. Login, LaunchPad etc »