New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Office,Rosetta, and installation woes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

So i am a little cornfused about this whole Office not installing on Lion dillema.
What i did so i knew it would work on the new refurb Mac Mini i bought was to install office 08 then upgrade to Lion (which i thought would be free but evidently refurbs dont count for the free upgrade. wasnt a big deal i had allready bought Lion through the app store so i just redownloaded) but what i really want to do is formatt and then install Lion. I have read a few posts about people haveing troubles installing over SL to Lion. So as of right now is there no possible way to get Office on a Lion running Mac? What are people doing for the alternative?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

If installation fails.. try this..

App Compatibility with OS X Lion 10.7

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I see your bind. Office 2008 uses Rosetta as part of the install since the installer still depends on PPC code. As you've learned, the only way to use 2008 in Lion is to install it in SL and upgrade to Lion. That said, there seems to be conflicting information online as to whether or not a fresh install of Office 2008 will work in Lion - some say that it will, some say that it won't. Some say that the installer does not in fact have PPC code and is requiring the installation of Rosetta unnecessarily. When I get a chance, I might go and take a look at my Office 2008 DVD to investigate.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yo dude, read the link I posted.

I gave an installation method that skips rosetta MONTHS ago in that post

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Yo dude, read the link I posted.

I gave an installation method that skips rosetta MONTHS ago in that post
Is there a facepalm or "slap oneself in the face" smilie?

This will have to do:
facepalm.gif

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Is there a facepalm or "slap oneself in the face" smilie?

This will have to do:
Attachment 16138
What can I say, my kids needed office on their machine for homework...

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

And I'm sure they were thrilled that you helped them get back to homework.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
And I'm sure they were thrilled that you helped them get back to homework.
Actually.. they were

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Actually.. they were
Their teacher must love them!

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Are you able to enter text on this website? | Problem with Word »