New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Definitive yes or no... Do I need anti-virus for a new iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dennyc123

dennyc123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb

OK i know that there are supposed to be no real viruses for Macs, and I know according to most people anti-virus and security arent necessary with OS X, but there are more and more anti-virus programmes available for the Mac and I was wondering if its a cash in scam from people like Norton or if its something any of you actually use? I have always used them on Windows but I have been reliably informed that Mac users dont bother as regular viruses dont work on them, but i know some people who use them anyway.

Save my money or save my Mac, i genuinely dont know what to do?
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

There was a similar thead on here a few weeks ago on the very subject:

Any good virus protection for iMac?

i think the definitive answer from the more experienced members was - No

but again, life is full of choices, hope this helps

J
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I never had it on my Mac's because there are no viruses for a Mac.
I use MSE on my Windows Laptop.
I find that a lot of AV programs cause a few issues on Mac's.
I make sure before giving my admin password on anything.
I always have a firewall on either my router at home or my laptops in field.
QUOTE Thanks
dennyc123

dennyc123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb

i think those threads have convinced me that I will keep my money firmly in my pocket, and scorn people like Kaspersky for making a programme to check for viruses that do not exist!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyc123 View Post
i think those threads have convinced me that I will keep my money firmly in my pocket, and scorn people like Kaspersky for making a programme to check for viruses that do not exist!
They are in it for the money either through direct purchase of their software are the paid adds that go with the free stuff a check comes from someone.
It will be front page news when one actually hits the Mac community so far no headlines.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The only thing you can get at the moment are trojans, so as long as you only install trusted software then you are safe

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyc123 View Post
but there are more and more anti-virus programmes available for the Mac ... I have always used them on Windows but I have been reliably informed that Mac users dont bother as regular viruses dont work on them, but i know some people who use them anyway.
Those "regular" viruses you mention are written for Windows, and do not affect the Mac OS. Some people with Macs have anti-virus software to find Windows viruses, and thus avoid passing them on to friends with Windows. But, if, like me, you don't engage in such activity, you don't need it.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Another for no antivirus software whatsoever. Safe browsing practices are the best defense, and if you use Safari go into Preferences > General and ensure the bottom pane 'Open safe files....' is NOT selected.

If you are from the Windows environment and this troubles you, look at ClamXAV which is freeware.

http://www.clamxav.com/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

I haven't needed to download any virus software for OSX. It would be a waste of money IMO.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

No.

Never used it in 10 years, and never will.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
No.

Never used it in 10 years, and never will.
Well, assuming that the Mac OS remains secure...
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yeah I guess, though I don 't intend any OS upgrades now, so reckon on being ok until I ca afford a new Mac in about 10 years!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

This question actually comes up quite a bit - and I think we're doing a disservice by categorically saying "no". There's enough malware out there now, that for the uninitiated, the possibility of actually picking up something (not necessarily a "virus" in the truest sense, but certainly some undesirable code) is a real threat.

Yes, generally speaking, by using a bit of common sense while using the Internet, you can avoid it, but if you're new to the platform, you might not know what to look for - and it is out there now.

So, in short, there is no definitive answer to this question. I don't personally run any AV software like many others here. But I would recommend having a read of this thread:

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

...to any newbie who feels uncomfortable without AV software. The best defense for any computer is an educated user.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like one thing to do is never click on a popup to update adobe flash on a Mac. Go to the adobe website and manually download updates there.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Yeah I guess, though I don 't intend any OS upgrades now, so reckon on being ok until I ca afford a new Mac in about 10 years!
That's a long time to suffer new Mac withdrawal symptoms buddy. Either your budget is as tight as mine or you have remarkable restraint.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I stop iTunes from opening Automatically? | Facebook Chat Client »