Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb
    Definitive yes or no... Do I need anti-virus for a new iMac?
    OK i know that there are supposed to be no real viruses for Macs, and I know according to most people anti-virus and security arent necessary with OS X, but there are more and more anti-virus programmes available for the Mac and I was wondering if its a cash in scam from people like Norton or if its something any of you actually use? I have always used them on Windows but I have been reliably informed that Mac users dont bother as regular viruses dont work on them, but i know some people who use them anyway.

Save my money or save my Mac, i genuinely dont know what to do?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    There was a similar thead on here a few weeks ago on the very subject:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...tion-imac.html

i think the definitive answer from the more experienced members was - No

but again, life is full of choices, hope this helps

J

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I never had it on my Mac's because there are no viruses for a Mac.
    I use MSE on my Windows Laptop.
    I find that a lot of AV programs cause a few issues on Mac's.
    I make sure before giving my admin password on anything.
    I always have a firewall on either my router at home or my laptops in field.

Specs:
    iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb
    i think those threads have convinced me that I will keep my money firmly in my pocket, and scorn people like Kaspersky for making a programme to check for viruses that do not exist!

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by dennyc123 View Post
    i think those threads have convinced me that I will keep my money firmly in my pocket, and scorn people like Kaspersky for making a programme to check for viruses that do not exist!
    They are in it for the money either through direct purchase of their software are the paid adds that go with the free stuff a check comes from someone.
    It will be front page news when one actually hits the Mac community so far no headlines.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    The only thing you can get at the moment are trojans, so as long as you only install trusted software then you are safe
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by dennyc123 View Post
    but there are more and more anti-virus programmes available for the Mac ... I have always used them on Windows but I have been reliably informed that Mac users dont bother as regular viruses dont work on them, but i know some people who use them anyway.
    Those "regular" viruses you mention are written for Windows, and do not affect the Mac OS. Some people with Macs have anti-virus software to find Windows viruses, and thus avoid passing them on to friends with Windows. But, if, like me, you don't engage in such activity, you don't need it.

Specs:
    Imac 27", i7 3.5GHz, 3TB Fusion drive, 32GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Another for no antivirus software whatsoever. Safe browsing practices are the best defense, and if you use Safari go into Preferences > General and ensure the bottom pane 'Open safe files....' is NOT selected.

If you are from the Windows environment and this troubles you, look at ClamXAV which is freeware.

http://www.clamxav.com/
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
    I haven't needed to download any virus software for OSX. It would be a waste of money IMO.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    No.

Never used it in 10 years, and never will.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    No.

Never used it in 10 years, and never will.
    Well, assuming that the Mac OS remains secure...

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Yeah I guess, though I don 't intend any OS upgrades now, so reckon on being ok until I ca afford a new Mac in about 10 years!
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    This question actually comes up quite a bit - and I think we're doing a disservice by categorically saying "no". There's enough malware out there now, that for the uninitiated, the possibility of actually picking up something (not necessarily a "virus" in the truest sense, but certainly some undesirable code) is a real threat.

Yes, generally speaking, by using a bit of common sense while using the Internet, you can avoid it, but if you're new to the platform, you might not know what to look for - and it is out there now.

So, in short, there is no definitive answer to this question. I don't personally run any AV software like many others here. But I would recommend having a read of this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...ewall-faq.html

...to any newbie who feels uncomfortable without AV software. The best defense for any computer is an educated user.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Sounds like one thing to do is never click on a popup to update adobe flash on a Mac. Go to the adobe website and manually download updates there.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    Yeah I guess, though I don 't intend any OS upgrades now, so reckon on being ok until I ca afford a new Mac in about 10 years!
    That's a long time to suffer new Mac withdrawal symptoms buddy. Either your budget is as tight as mine or you have remarkable restraint.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information